Best bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

monkeynutz

Opinions please, regarding who sells the best bushings. I'd like to address both consistently and accurately sized, and durability. I had pretty good luck with some I got from Rockler, but a replacement set was off a little size-wise. I got some others from Woodcraft, and they were pure crap. Practically fell apart, leaving gray staining (from sanding) on my blanks, wore down in no time, and really seemed to get clogged with CA too easily. Rather than doing a lot of experimenting with all the various online penturning suppliers, I thought I'd ask y'all where you have had good luck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

look up JohnnyCNC here on the site. his bushings/bushing kits are so far ahead of what you get from any of the suppliers that there is no comparison. His are for turning between centers. He uses steel for the bushings which helps with wear, but technique will help even more!

rherrell

I stick with Berea and CSUSA kits and haven't experienced the problems you speak of. By all means get yourself a $4 dead center and 86 the bushings when applying CA. It'll make life a WHOLE lot easier.;)

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by GoodTurns

...technique will help even more!
Is there a technique for sanding blanks all the way to the ends without contacting the bushings? I can't see how, especially if you've got to keep the paper moving all the time.

n7blw

After shaping the blank with the usual turning tools, take the blank off the bushings and sand using a dead center for drive and a live center in the tailstock. In other words, use the centers to drive the tube. Just don't snug things up too tight.

Top Bottom