Best books for learning turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

don't forget your public Library.
Also, a used book store might have some that you could find on the cheap.

Personally, I have found some on Craiglist that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Last edited:

J Michael

Barry Gross has a good book, "Learn to Turn" for the basics, and Richard Raffan books would be another choice. For pens, "The Pen Turner's Bible" by Richard Kleinhenz will give you a lot to work with. Our IAP Library has a ton of information and links to more information elsewhere. Numerous wood turning groups have blogs/sites that have a lot of information ... you'll just have to make friends with Google. And, there is YouTube and your local library for free resources and those used book shops can have some amazing finds.

Dan Masshardt

I have quite a few of the books - most that I aquirered in group deals. . Most are okay but repetitive.

I've thought about selling them but most have just a couple ideas or projects that I think I might refer to to.

Overall I think video is most helpful for turning instruction.

KenV

Pen turning. Books by Don Ward, Barry Gross, and Rich Kleinhenz are all good. Don's book is more specialized, and would be #3 on my list only for that reason.

General books

There are many over the years.

Woodturning Fundamentals by Mike Darrow is very good for basics.

Raffin has several good books

Jim Rogers recently got a new book on the market that I have browsed and looked good.

And. Ernie Conover has good books for basics.

Doc Green has an excellent book on work holding. The best I have seen, and backs it up with a web site, with more information.

Last edited:

dthayer

As has been said, there is a lot of great info out on YouTube and in the great IAP library. I guess I'm a bit old school though and do also like to put my feet up with a good old fashioned print book.

I have Barry Gross' Pen Turner's Workbook which is a classic. I also have one by Walter Hall called Complete Guide to Turning Pens & Pencils which I really like. It is actually very similar in format to the Barry Gross book -- general info in the first part of the book and then a number of specific projects detailed in the last half. For some reason (that I just can't quite put my finger on) I like the project section in the Walter Hall book better. If you do order it, though, be careful. There is another book out there called Turning Pens and Pencils by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham that (in my opinion) isn't nearly as good and is easily confused for the other (don't ask me how I know :eek: ).

jttheclockman

Books will get you in the ballpark but if you truely want to learn, the best thing is to see it first hand and up close where you can ask question. You can't ask a book a question. If there is a Turners club near you, that would be the way to go in addition to the written word.

Mengtian

Books will get you in the ballpark but if you truely want to learn, the best thing is to see it first hand and up close where you can ask question. You can't ask a book a question. If there is a Turners club near you, that would be the way to go in addition to the written word.

There is member about 3 miles from me that I PM'ed. He is willing to show me some things. I talked to him last wee but our schedules did not allow the time. I am going to contact him again this week.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

There is member about 3 miles from me that I PM'ed. He is willing to show me some things. I talked to him last wee but our schedules did not allow the time. I am going to contact him again this week.

Just curious... did you find him using our member map? If so, that's the first documented success of the map doing exactly as intended!

Mengtian

Just curious... did you find him using our member map? If so, that's the first documented success of the map doing exactly as intended!

Yes I did. Nice man. We talked briefly. He invited me to his home so I can see what he has and maybe turn something. I wish we had the time last week.

JimB

Yes I did. Nice man. We talked briefly. He invited me to his home so I can see what he has and maybe turn something. I wish we had the time last week.

You don't have your location listed. Perhaps if you said where you are you would find others near you. The member map only has a small number of members on it right now.

Drewboy22

The Map is very useful. I also used it to find a local. Member came to my house and help me A LOT!!! That map is a great resource!!

To keep on topic: I used YouTube for most of my learnin'. I did check the Halfprice book store but they did not have anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom