Berea Streamline Americana Rollerbal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

A week or so I posted asking about this kit and got some positive feedback. Well I ordered some of the kit and I must say I like the finished product and after only making one as a prototype, I have orders for two more.

However, why does Berea make the B mandrel too short to turn both ends of the pen at the same time?? I figure about another half inch or so would do it. Am I missing something. Turning them seperately really impacts the time involved to make. Anybody have a mandrel strecher?

Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Richard, I think you can pull the rod out a little from the end of the mandrel if I remember right. Anyone?

B

Bill Baumbeck

I spoke to Jim H. at Berea about this some time ago. The existing mandrel works if it backed out of the arbor as R.T. stated. With the live center properly positioned the pen can be easily turned.

At this time Berea does not have any plans to lengthen the mandrel. The longer the mandrel the more chance of excessive runout.

BB

wayneis

Richard It really doesn't take a lot longer to do only one barrel at a time. After all you can only cut and sand one at a time. Most of the time I only set up to turn one barrell at a time anyway because you have so much less run out. I use a collet chuck so I only have what mandrel rod extended as I need.

Wayne

write-n-style

I have made that particular pen and have the same complaints about the madrel being too short.
I also like to see both blanks on the mandrel when turning.
With this particular component set-up if you unscrew the mandrel from the Morse taper there are very few(3 or 4) threads in the morse taper.
Poor design.
An easier solution would have been to make one center bushing to accept the top and bottom barrels.
As much as I like this design I won't be ordering any more of these components from Berea

jdavis

Do not use that product but I am in the process of having our metalshop class make us a mandrel. Will keep you posted of the outcome. This could lead to a small business venture for that class.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bill B--I understand what Jim says and that the mandrel can be extended by partially unscrewing it from the arbor, BUT, if the "B" mandrel adds stability and partially unthreading the mandrel creates an instability don't we still have a problem?

arehrlich

I've done a couple of these pens and haven't had any problem with the mandrel being unscrewed a bit from the taper. When you tighten the knurled nut on the end, you're pulling against the threads in the taper making the unit tight.

No expert, but the outcome has been quite good.

write-n-style

Originally posted by arehrlich
<br />I've done a couple of these pens and haven't had any problem with the mandrel being unscrewed a bit from the taper. When you tighten the knurled nut on the end, you're pulling against the threads in the taper making the unit tight.

No expert, but the outcome has been quite good.
That is not how the madrel is designed to be used.
The "shoulders" of the mander need to mate to the M2taper to seat securely,
Any other way is Mickey Mousing it due to poor design.

RPM

One other obvservation is that the bushings for this pen seem to have wider shoulders than most. If the bushings were narrower the problem would not exist. Does anyone know of any negatives in grinding a 1/16th off of each of the 4 bushings to pick up a quarter inch?
Richard

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
RPM,

My suggestion as well. Only problem should be keeping bushings square to the mandrel. Of course, you COULD turn them down with an OLD parting tool.

Just a thought!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom