Berea RT European FP/RB problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

BB had these on sale a few weeks ago and I wanted some smaller fountain pens and rollerballs in my inventory so I bought some. Finally getting around to working on them and I'm beginning to think these are not up to Berea's standards. The instructions say the bushings are identical, absolutely incorrect. Two of the bushings measure .451 which matches the parts. The CB bushing matches the diameter of the CB. The problem is the finial and the clip. The finial measures .444 and the bushing measures .437. The finial has a threaded stud and looks identical to the finial for the 8mm Euro ballpoint. The stud measures .171, but the hole in the clip is a whopping .348 and there is absolutely nothing to keep the clip in place. The OD of the clip ring measures .450. Has anyone made these? Did I get defective bushings or finials or clips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

baldysm

I didn't measure the bushings/matching parts, so I can't comment on that.

The problem with the clip is why I think this kit is garbage. There are some ways around it, but they are involve an extra step at least.

I have a few of the kits, Berea is aware of the problem, has been for a very long time, but simply refuses to do anything about it. I talked to Jim and he has said that it's a very popular kit, has been for years. The result is, atleast for me, I very seldom make this kit.

gerryr

Well, I will never buy any more of these, no matter how well they might sell. It would be so simple for Berea to fix the problem, but as usual the super-inflated ego of Berea's owner won't allow him to recognize that the quality of this kit and bushings is less than adequate. It's too bad that nobody else makes this style in premium platings.

And, if this kit is so popular, why doesn't anyone here ever show one is SOYP?

Ron Mc

Gerry,
I understand completely how you feel. I have begun the process of removing all Berea kits from my site due to the fact that no one will listen any more.
The way I see it, "How can I offer support to my customers if I can't get support myself?"

Please understand that is is a personal decision that I have made and in no way am I making any suggestions.

woodpens

This is actually one of my best selling pens. I also hate the clip arrangement. You have to use CA glue very carefully and hold everything in place as you tighten the finial. If someone would make a similar looking pen, I'd change in a heartbeat.

gerryr

Sunday I was messing around with the stud, clip and finial and discovered that the end of stud that normally goes into the tube first is a perfect match to the ID of the clip ring. I have to get a tap today to clean up the threads in the stud and that's how I plan to assemble it.

gerryr

The Berea catalog calls them "Round Top European Screw Cap Roller Ball and Fountain Pen." They're on page 16 of teh 2004-2005 catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom