Berea Pricing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdustier

I placed my first order with Berea today, and I must say I was somewhat disappointed. I finally got around to ordering the Perfect Fit pen and was expecting to pay what was listed on their web site. Instead I was told they were $10 higher because their web site had not been updated in a couple of years. A couple of years? I thought this was a fairly new addition of theirs. I was told that in their catalog this was the current price, but being a new customer I didn't have a catalog. It's not so much the money but the bad feelings about the entire deal.[B)] If anyone from Berea reads this, please update your site or at least add a comment somewhere that states prices are subject to change without notice. Thanks all for letting me let off steam....I feel better already.

woodpens

Are you saying the kits were $10 higher each??? I do sell these pens, but it has been a while since I ordered any. If they are $10 per kit higher, I am done selling them.

Sawdustier

Guess I didn't word that quite right. Web site quotes $53.00 for 10 and actual price was $63. I know it's not a lot of money but the attitude I got over the phone was what got to me. Seems like they could update once in a while though.

woodpens

$10 extra for 10 kits isn't so bad. However, their website is lacking. they need to hire me to fix it for them! [;)] Honestly, I don't order from Berea because they don't have a functional website. When I need anything from them, I buy from Bill Baumbeck. I seldom buy anything during normal working hours, so a functional website is a necessity to gain my business. Their lack of concern for their website tells me that they aren't real concerned with individual customers. They probably make their money from Woodcraft and the like. If they want to gain a lot of individual customers, they could do so very easily by hiring a webmaster. But then, they'd probably have to hire more order takers too! [:)]

Daniel

At the risk of sounding like I am flaming Berea. Which I really don't have the intention of doing. both trying to get a catalogue out of them, as well as there incomplete web sight, both ad to the overall just ho hum opinion I have developed about Berea. Beautiful catalogue though. I will give them that. when I saw the first one I thought. now this outfit is classy. then that vision just started melting away.

Rudy Vey

The price stated in their catalogue is $ 63 for 10 kits plus bushings. Their website stinks, they should really update this.
This is btw a great pen!! If you are a so-called part-time crafter that buys a larger number of kits, you cannot beat their prices. Call them and speak to Jim Heusinger, he is the president of Berea and always helpful.

Gary

Ditto about their website...it is really bad. But I too think they don't care, otherwise they would have fixed it.

opfoto

Thanks for the heads up.... I will not be ordering from them any time soon. I like many others have to watch where I spend my pennies. Included in the pricing is customer service. If they don't have it, they don't get it!!!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have spoken to Jim about the website and he says they just don't have the person inhouse anymore to do it on a regular basis... he said that most of his sales were through the catalog or by phone or through BillB...
Since I normally order from BillB I rarely if ever look at the site anymore... I get the catalog and if there is something I need I call them up..
Marc, they have absolutely fantastic customer service... Don't judge the customer service of a company by it's website.. that is not fair... there is no reason not to order from them.. There products are tops and there platings are fantastic...
There are only two companies whose kits I will use... Berea and CSU... and both have fantastic customer service..

Got my Berea Cat. in the mail Thursday .....I don't remember exactly when I requested it but it doesn't seem to be all that long ago...Man it's a NICE catalog!! But I'll probably still buy my stuff thru BB...he's got "freebies"...lol

woodpens

I am in complete agreement with what Griz said. I have never had a problem with Berea's customer service. I received some pen kits once with only one tube per kit. I called them up, and they quickly sent what I needed. Jim has always been more than willing to talk at length with me. Their customer service is great, but their technology is lacking. The website and part numbers simply need to be brought up to date. Berea and CSU are the suppliers of 99% of my kits.

randall844

Is there any validity to Berea's claim that the "B" mandrel (the fat non-standard, who-knows-what-size-it-really-is one)contributes to pen quality? And if so, is there any appreciable difference between the "Precision" or $12 version and the "High Precision" or $35 version.

And finally, how does this compare with the Hut Ameroclassic rod, which looks similarly chubby.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by randall844
<br />Is there any validity to Berea's claim that the "B" mandrel (the fat non-standard, who-knows-what-size-it-really-is one)contributes to pen quality? And if so, is there any appreciable difference between the "Precision" or $12 version and the "High Precision" or $35 version.

And finally, how does this compare with the Hut Ameroclassic rod, which looks similarly chubby.

I don't know where you got your pricing from, but in the latest Berea catalog the High Precision Drill Driver system is $25 and the standard Precision system is $15. Yes, I think the "B" does contribute to the pen quality, it is much more rigid. I think the optimum is the Beall collet chuck with the B mandrel. Also, I would not call is non-standard, since most of us who do a lot of quality pens really like it. Unfortunately, not all kit are available for the B mandrel.
BTW, Berea supplies Hut, Rockler and most of the Woodcraft pen kits.

randall844

Rudy, to get to $35 I added the $15 Drill Driver to the $20 Mandrel Shaft. Page 3 of the latest catalog they sent me 2 or 3 months ago (admittedly dated 2003-2004) My real interest is, is that one worth nearly 3 times as much as the mere "Precision System" listed @ $12 for the whole shebang?

Oops. Just read it again. It says "Either of the above <b>with</b>
the matching mandrel. Never mind. Thanks for the reply anyway.

wayneis

Yes it is worth the extra money, the metal doesn't flex as much and if you are going to end up making a lot of pens then like any other tool you get what you pay for. When ever I buy a new tool of any kind I buy the best tool that I can afford, I don't look for cheapies because I just end up tossing them and then buying the better one in the end.

Wayne

jrc

I've been dealing with them for 2 1/2 years and they have always beeb goo to me. They have an online catalog with current prices and newer stuff from the old catalog.

wayneis

beeb goo, Jim I'm not to sure that I want someone to be "beeb goo" to me, how does it feel? lol Sorry but I just had to say that, it sounds like something that a baby does when sitting on your lap [:D] [}:)]

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just to add to the general feeling. I have dealt with Berea for nearly a decade. If you are looking to learn about penmaking, Jim H is an infinite source of knowledge. Usually, he answers the phone. I have just started dealing with BB, so this is not a "cut" on anyone. But, to sell pens (writing instruments), you need to be a LITTLE informed. An order and the conversation with Jim will help you get there from here.

BTW, his pen kits have never failed either.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Just to add to the general feeling. I have dealt with Berea for nearly a decade. If you are looking to learn about penmaking, Jim H is an infinite source of knowledge. Usually, he answers the phone. I have just started dealing with BB, so this is not a "cut" on anyone. But, to sell pens (writing instruments), you need to be a LITTLE informed. An order and the conversation with Jim will help you get there from here.

<b>BTW, his pen kits have never failed either</b>.
My dealings with them are only for about 3 or 4 years, but everything said here is true, never had a problem whatsoever.
I surely agree with this last statement!!!

pengrl12

After dealing with Berea for 10+ years (over the phone and walking in)I find them to one of the best. I have only dealt with the others a few times. I also looked at their website to find out what all the fuss is and I find it to be comparable to other small company website. I did notice the BIG VIEW 2005 CATAlog link so the matter of the price differences would have been solved by using the correct link. Also at the bottom of that page it does state prices subject to change without notice. So all of complaining done by the original poster was done by the lack of reading the webpage. So don't blame Berea for you not reading the entire page. I have become very good friends with the staff at Berea and they are excellent. Also for the people who choose a company by website alone will think about it..if you read it and can navigate it correctly no problems. After reading all these whiney post, I now know why some companies only sell by the internet..so they don't have to listen to a bunch of whiners

WoodChucker

I didn't feel the original poster was whining at all, just giving an opinion. I find it strange that you've been turning pens for 10 years and all of a sudden you show up here with your first post and start attacking the members of the forum just because you like Berea.

Opinions are welcome here but your attitude is not, so I doubt you will be around long, so don't let the door hit you on the way out.

pengrl12

YES I JUST SHOWED UP BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN I HAVEN'T BEEN LURKING...AND IT IS WHINING WHEN SOMEONE CAN'T READ A WEBSITE CORRECTLY AND THEN WHINES CUZ THINGS HAVE CHANGED....AND ITS NOT AN ATTITUDE ITS AN OPINION.

WoodChucker

Originally posted by pengrl12
<br />YES I JUST SHOWED UP BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN I HAVEN'T BEEN LURKING...AND IT IS WHINING WHEN SOMEONE CAN'T READ A WEBSITE CORRECTLY AND THEN WHINES CUZ THINGS HAVE CHANGED....AND ITS NOT AN ATTITUDE ITS AN OPINION.

All caps are like yelling and another thing that most forums don't care for. So, once again your letting your <b>attitude</b> get the best of you. Why don't you come back when you grow up a little? I liked you better when you were lurking!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Excuse me Pengrl12, I don't care if you have been lurking here since the beginning or for the last week.. But I personally find it rude that you need to shout (use all capitols) to get your point across..
We try to be a civil group here (it does not always happen), and we tend to try to forgive each others faults and failures. It is obvious that the person starting this thread did not read the whole website.. it happens, it does not make him a whiner or wrong. You have your opinion and are welcome to it. However, that does not mean you need to be nasty about it.
I also buy mostly Berea kits and think that Jim is a wonderful person and more than willing to help anyone... but even he has said that his website is horrible... ask him he will tell you... LOL
It is very easy to miss items on a website.. especially when you have your mind set on looking for something specific...
Lighten up and take a breath... we have a pretty cohesive group here and for the most part enjoy each other's posts and company...

pengrl12

SORRY...My cap lock was on my computer and why do I have an attitude when I just stating PURE facts. I think people should know all the facts before the start posting(whining).

Doghouse

Pengrl12 has appologized for the caps, and has a right to her opinion.

Lets DROP it at that. Everyone! Stop the petty bickering and name calling will not be allowed. Consider this a warning to the post that was deleted.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Good Afternoon, All,

Please take a moment to review this post:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4653

Pay particular attention to this paragraph:

"Anyone who posts anything I think is a personal attack on another member will have their account terminated. If in my opinion, your post goes beyond what I described in the first paragraph - polite, respectful, spirited debate - you are gone. Question facts, give different advice, point out potential safety problems, add a dissenting opinion, but do not resort to personal attacks, name calling, profanity, etc. I will try my best to fully understand the situation before I take action, but I don't have the time or the motivation to sort through dirty laundry."

If you are acting in a way contrary to my policy, and you find your account locked, don't say you did not receive fair warning.

The nameless, faceless, impersonal nature of the Internet often causes people to get quickly whipped into a froth and behave in ways they never would in person. It happens, but it doesn't have to. We are intelligent people and we can choose to behave differently. My advice is to make that choice.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Sounds good to me John...
Pengrl12, I apologize if I have offended you... we really all do try to get along here... I am sorry...

RLKnecht

Hi all,
I too am relatively new here, but have been lurking off and on for 6 to 12 months. I agree, with the "prices subject to change" disclaimer at the bottom of the page being used to cover up new price changes until the site can be updated, but to irresponsibly ignore making changes to your site for months (or even years), when you know changes are made is .. well .. , irresponsible. The usual "subject to change" notice is generally intended as more of a "if we goof and don't make a change to an item when we are changing lots of things, you can't hold us to the published price" kind of disclaimer. For a company to assume they can leave 2 year old prices on the web page, and expect someone to be happy about a 25% price increase is simply stupid and does not help your company credibility. Come on Berea (that was who this was about wasn’t it, I forgot with all the bickering), pay someone to maintain your site correctly and see how much increased revenue it generates. You might actually make back the salary you pay to get the site working correctly.
Just my $0.02
Rick

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Rick makes an excellent point. Many small companies don't realize (a) how much new business they can generate by having a top-notch web site, and (b) how many current customers they can lose by having a bad web site. I attribute that to a lack of understanding of exactly what the Internet is, and how pervasive it is in all aspects of commerce.

I consult with a lot of small companies who are contemplating (or currently trying unsuccessfully) to "get on the web", and in about 8 out of 10 cases, they have no real understanding of the scope of what they're trying to do. Quite often, my advice is to stay off the web unless they can do it properly. Doing otherwise risks their reputation and ultimately, their entire business. It doesn't take much of a screw-up to lose credit card data, violate privacy laws, and expose a business to lawsuits.

Unless a company is willing to invest in a good (appearance and function) web site, proper IT security, frequent content freshening, and competent handling of customer service email, etc., they should just stick to over the counter or telephone sales. A web site with conflicting data, bad (or no) on-line ordering, too many "coming soon" or "under construction" pages is a sure way to get your site trashed in discussion forums [;)]

Ligget

Great advice Jeff!
A lot of penturners here either have or are contemplating a website, your advice may be just the kick up the bum we needed too!
I`ll away now and sort mine out!!!!LOL
[;)]

Gary Max

Plus look at the cost---looks like the story came down to---noboby taking care of site.
I see the cost of running a site like Jeff talks about doing it right---and you would have to do a good amount of internet bussiness to have a good site.
With my product line-- between shipping and site cost I choose not to become a business. I agree with do it right or stay home thought.

Daniel

I have mentioned before that Bereas web sight ads to my blaah opinion of them. not against them but sort of a flea market feeling. don't really know how to describe it. my first experience with them was there printed catalogue. eye popping and gave me the impression that this was the company that was serious about pens. then I went to there site. talk about falling off a pedestal.
anouther example was the web site Jay lists in his acrylic mixing article. I was one determined puppy to have fought with that one. but I finally got an order in, By Phone. but I am a bit suprised I stuck at it long enough. I couldn't even get product numbers from there web sight for a while. it just puts up a bad face for the company. I spoke to the person on the phone about it and as usual I found that they appreciate hearing about it. they are going to have the webmaster try and figure out what is going on so that I can place future orders over the web site. In everything I saw when I was building my web sight. one point that was stressed over and over again was. make sure our web sight works. don't put up a page that says, "Under construction" build it then put it on the net. but have it usable right from the get go. tweak it later if you need to but incomplete is better off non existant. I think I would have a whole different idea of Berea if I had received there catalogue and placed my order by phone or mail.

Sawdustier

I'm almost afraid to post here again but here goes [:I] I received my order from Berea very quickly. In fact I received it on Monday and just ordered on a Friday and am very pleased with their product. I'm sure "Jim" is a very helpful person but the fact is I talked with a woman who was the next thing to rude and just because of the web site pricing. I also received a sheet of very helpful hints along with the order and a phone # to call if I had any problems.(hope I don't need it) Hey! I even got a catalog. I will probably do business with them again but Arizona Silhouette has it all and I don't have to read the entire site just to place an order and can order on-line which with my schedule is much more convenient.

I appologize to all for the way this thread turned and to anyone I may have offended with my comments.

WoodChucker

Shirley, no need for an apology, as far as I concerned you had every right to be upset. And you didn't offend anyone, well anyone important anyway. [:D]

Glad it worked out for you, I agree they have a problem with there web page. But they have always treated me pretty good, so I still do business with them when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom