Berea perfict fit confusion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I haven't posted anything for a while but I got some nice kits from BB and promptly hit a snag, talked it over with BB and he agreed that Berea instructions are pretty worthless. Here is my dilemma

There are 5 pieces to the bushing kit. The instructions show where each goes on the mandrel, but no bushing is marked. There are no bushing dimensions on the instructions so I cannot mic them. The bushing placement diagram on the instructions does not differentiate the appearance of each bushing, so I am at a complete loss as to which bushing goes where. Can anyone provide me with mic dimensions of each bushing numbered on the instructions? Otherwise I am dead in the water.

Also, the instructions describe "Method 1" and "Method 2" but there is no explanation what either method means.

Maybe I am a bit slow in being able to figure all this out, but I am ready to avoid any more berea kits until their instructions are at least useable.
I would appreciate any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Jim, I had the same confusion so I simply placed the bushings in a order that went with what I thought the pen looked like. As a matter of fact I didn't bother with the 5th bushing. from the clip end - upper blank 2nd largest then largest (this will be the end that you will cut the tenon); lower blank 3rd largest then smallest. I think the big one w/o the fitting is a sliding sleeve to match the tenon. Sorry I don't have the mic's sizes. Hope it will get you started.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It's not as bad as it looks, Jim. Separate your bushings into three piles. There are 2 step-bushings, 2 regular bushings that fit snugly on the B mandrel and 1 bushing that fits loosely on the B mandrel. That last bushing also happens to fit on the upper brass tube. Starting at the finial end of the short barrel, first put on the smaller of the two step-bushings. Then put the short blank on, followed by the larger of the step-bushings. Next, put on the larger of the regular bushings, then the long blank and the smallest bushing, followed by the knurl nut. The "loose" bushing it not needed at this point.

Ignore the Method 1 and Method 2 nonsense. Turn your pens to final dimension and part off the top blank as described. Take the lower blank bushings and blank off along with the larger step bushing. Slip the loose bushing over the exposed tube from the parting, put all bushings and blanks back on the mandrel, sand and finish. Complete assembly of the pen.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

alamocdc

Jim, I agree with you on the PF instructions and it took me a bit to get it figured out... I used the pen parts. Using the numbered diagram on the back of the page #1 is .368" (smallest straight bushing), #2 is .469" (largest straight bushing), #3 is .5455" (largest step bushing), #4 is .466" (smallest step bushing) and #5 is the CB bushing. I also agree with Lou about the parting off the extra AFTER turning. In fact, I part mine off as soon as I get the upper blank round so I can mount bushing #5 and get a true dimensioned finish, but that's just me.

Randy_

You guys think you are confused???? I just got my PF kit from BB and was reading the instructions and looking at the bushings; because I had read this thread previously and knew there would be some uncertainty. Well, nothing made sense until I realized that I had a set of <b>1B</b> bushings rather than <b>14B</b> bushings.....both 5 bushing packages. It pays to check your orders closely when they arrive as mistakes are made, occasionally!!

jimr

This Berea thing is getting absurd. I ordered 4 different kits from Bill and three of them had the wrong bushings. On one the berea catalog and Bill's showed one bushing number and the berea instructions showed another. Bill is trying to work out the mess. I also emailed Berea and told them about it. I will not order any more berea kits until they do something about their instructions.

Randy_

Near as I can tell, the only thing that is really wrong with the instructions for the Perfect Fit Convertible kit is the drawing that shows the arrangement of the bushings. After Bill sends me the correct bushing kit, think I will crank up my AutoCad program and make up a better drawing. Maybe BB will include it as a supplemental sheet to the Berea instructions??.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom