Berea New Series

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

Its called the series 2000 Flat Top American Screw Cap rollerball and fountain pen, it comes in rollerball and fountain pen. It has a round top and it is called a "flat top," is that correct?

This looks like a much needed size for rollerball/fountain pens. Is it postable, it looks like the cap screws on and posts with friction? Are the threatd metal to metal? What size nib? It looks like a tendon center band on the cap, yes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In the spirit of Dragnet, "all you get are the facts, sir!!"

Thin? yes, the finished OD of the pen will be .444"--both ends are the same, so the Jr. Gentleman is about 15% larger. Because my "prototype" ran into operator error, it is not here, so I cannot give you weight today, but I will get it for you.

The two tubes are the same OD and ID, so it is possible to confuse them---the shorter one should be the "cap" end. As we noted earlier, the material on the cap should be 1.6875" long, according to Berea. This will leave a VERY short length of brass tube exposed as the tube starts at 1.87--about 2/10" Again, carefully glue the part to the tube and let it set overnight before putting the cap on the pen (or it may be there permanently!!)
Due to the length of the rollerball refill being consistent, the overall length will be the same as the other rollerball pens.

The nib is a nice two-tone, but it is an IPG. The Heritance nib is a direct replacement, the fit is excellent, using the stock feed unit.

Berea is calling the pen the "New series style Screw Cap" Fountain pen or Rollerball. Assembly, once we found the correct amount to turn off, is straightforward.
BTW, we penmakers refer to this as a tenon, it really is NOT. You simply turn down to the brass, shortening the material by less than 1/8", then secure the "center band" which has the threads.

Yes, the threads are metal to metal--the few I have tested have gone on easily and fit well. At least we know the customer will not crack the plastic insert, since there is not one!!

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. The pens I have are Chrome plated.

Both a converter and a cartridge come with the fountain pen, from the manufacturer.

That's the low-down!!
Thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Fibonacci

Can you enlighten some of us about your comment on the nib being an IPG?

I assume that is a brand? If so, is it not a very good one? I was looking at those kits as an option for a low cost fountain pen. Would it be advisable to upgrade to the heritance nibs?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Iridium point-Germany" has been on "kit" pen nibs since the beginning of kit pens. In the "early days" of penmaking, there were good and bad craftsmen (never saw women). Some sold fountain pens at shows then gave up the hobby and never came back. Their customers had adjustment problems with the nibs (and other difficulties) and so some people identified the IPG with crappy workmanship and lousy pens.

Today, if you do shows, you will still see folks who look at the nib and, if it says "IPG", they leave your booth rapidly. Is it fair? NO, the nib is not necessarily bad!!! They can write quite well. But, if you have the option of presenting a different nib, it is one less obstacle to a sale.

In the best of all worlds, if you are planning to do shows, you SHOULD show pens with several nibs. Allow your customer (or potential customer) to tell YOU what his/her predispositions are. Then, accommodate their desires.

Make sense?

Top Bottom