Berea Lever Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MyKidsDad

The instructions for Berea's Lever Action kit (https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/lever-action-ballpoint-pen-antique-brass.html) recommend using a small drop of glue on the component parts when assembling them to the tube and each other.

For those that have used this kit before, did you follow the instructions and use a drop of glue or not? I've never glued the parts on any of the pens I've made before and I don't like the idea of taking a chance on the glue squeezing out and getting on the parts or the blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I've made almost 40 of those and have never used glue. Sounds like a bad idea to me as the parts press fit in just fine and glue could make a mess of the pen.

mecompco

I use blue Loctite on all of my press fit joints. If something is really loose, epoxy is a good glue, as it wipes off if there is any squeeze out.

I do the same with the Lever Action. Now, if you are making the .45 pen, CA or a tiny dab of epoxy is best for the trim ring and other frictionless parts. Blue Loc-Tite won't hold these reliably (learned the hard way).

MyKidsDad

Thanks!

Thank you all for your replies.

For those that said you use blue loctite, I have what may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Do you put the loctite on the parts and let it dry before pressing the parts together, or do you press the parts together before the loctite dries? If you're pressing the parts together before it dries, again, I wonder how you're avoiding it squeezing out onto your blank or the parts themselves? Maybe it's not an issue if you use it sparingly?

Thanks again!

flyitfast

Thank you all for your replies.

For those that said you use blue loctite, I have what may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Do you put the loctite on the parts and let it dry before pressing the parts together, or do you press the parts together before the loctite dries? If you're pressing the parts together before it dries, again, I wonder how you're avoiding it squeezing out onto your blank or the parts themselves? Maybe it's not an issue if you use it sparingly?

Thanks again!

CA often damages the plating if there is any squeeze out. Blue LocTite will not damage pen parts and if there is squeeze out it can be wiped off and leave a clean plating on parts.
I put it on one of the two parts going together and put them together before it dries.
Gordon

MTViper

I've probably made 20 of these and about 25% have had fit problems. **** the lever and the tube separates from the top. A drop of Loctite fixes it. I don't glue them all but I test them several times to see if I need to or not.

Top Bottom