Berea Fountain Nibs...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

I've been putting together plenty of fountain pens from AZ (Berea) lately, and I've been ordering their different sized nibs.

I really can't tell any difference between the fine and medium nibs.

The broad is definitely broad, and I have no problem with it.

However, the medium and fine nibs seem to put down the same line. I'm not just basing this on one or two experiences. I've had numerous medium nibs, and I've been through about 5-6 fine nibs, and can't find one that actually writes like a fine nib.

Am I the only one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I ordered one of the Berea fine nibs once and didn't see any difference in line width either. Maybe with a magnifying glass I would have. According to CSUSA's catalog, a fine nib is 0.65mm, a medium is 0.85mm and a broad is 1.00mm. I can't find any information about the Berea nibs.

Jerryconn

I thought I saw that a fine nib was .5mm a medium .7mm and a broad either .9mm or 1.0mm but I can't find where I saw that right now.

gerryr

There isn't really any standard. What's considered medium in Europe is fine in Japan, or maybe it was the other way around.

Firefyter-emt

Same here, I can't find a "fine nib" I have bought the replacement ones and so far my "finest line" nib came standard in a El-Grande kit and is much finer than the "fine nibs"

I have said before, these nibs are pretty cheap really and they swing such a range even into "not useable" [V]

bgray

//I have said before, these nibs are pretty cheap really and they swing such a range even into "not useable" //

I agree that Berea nibs are not top quality out of the box, but I've always been able to smooth them to the point of where they work fine and buttery. Some micromesh for smoothing, and a set of feeler guages to control flow, if needed.

They usually don't come out of the box ready to write, but I haven't found it difficult to get them up to par.

I'm just kinda PO'ed that they advertise fine nibs, and they really are not.

I was at the Berea warehouse earlier last week, and Jim was nice enough to let me pick throught their entire inventory of fine nibs....couldn't find one that truly is a fine nib.

Firefyter-emt

If you like, I can send you one that is so bad you can see day light easily thru the gap in the tines. Never damaged, never dropped or showed signs of being dropped either. If this was sold to a customer and not one of "my own pens" the new owner of an expensive pen would never be able to make it flow without serious work to the nib.

redfishsc

I am learning the hard lessons about fountain pen nibs.

I made an Imperial from CSUSA the other day and put in an ink cartridge, and the cartridge wouldn't fit over the stud that the cartridge plugs onto.

I unsrewed the nib assembly from the nib housing and realized that the lil stud was badly deformed and looked like a small glob of plastic. One call to CSA and there is a new one on the way.

My new policy: Every fountain pen gets fully assembled, primed, and briefly used to make sure they work right.

redfishsc

Considering this discussion, are there any better quality nibs out there that we can purchase?

I am aware of Anthony's solid gold, sweeeet lookin' Penchetta nib, which I will try someday (lol, it's a tad out of my skinny price range and I'm a bit of a miser).

Are there any steel nibs aside from what comes from our suppliers that have a good reputation and fit our big and smaller pens?

bgray

//My new policy: Every fountain pen gets fully assembled, primed, and briefly used to make sure they work right.//
I've found that to be an absolute must. Fountain pens can be fussy no matter what. I never ship a fountain pen without giving it a test run.

//Are there any steel nibs aside from what comes from our suppliers that have a good reputation and fit our big and smaller pens?//
I done a lot of homework on this one, and I've found none. Not unless you want to buy a minimum of 1,000 or so.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I am workin on a solution to this problem right now. Keep in mind that medium nibs can be ground and adjusted to be fine's with a bit of practice and not a lot of work.

Firefyter-emt

Lou, thanks for the work on this and please keep me in the loop too...

I should of mentioned that I also will test run the pen myself and although it may not be the best, I will install the nib holder assy in one of my pens and use it for the day. I want to be sure that it passes more than a few ink lines. I know pens will wear in with each user, but from how long it seems for a nib to get where it feels really nice, I think this takes a lot longer on our nibs than just one day. By using just the nib holder assy, I don't take a chance of damage to the pen itself. (I also use my converter)

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
One thing to keep in mind about fountain pens is that the line put down by a particular nib is dependand on both the paper and ink used.

Some ink and paper combos feather a great deal

To show some combos of ink and paper,

Lamy 2000 EF nib with Private Reserve Tropical Blue ink writes B on paper 1 and writes F on paper 2.

Namiki Vanishing Point F nib with Noodlers Legal Lapis ink writes EF on both paper 1 and 2.

Sailor 1911M EF nib with Waterman Red ink writes F on paper 1 and EF on paper 2.

In terms of high quality nibs, you can buy Lamy nib / feed / section units for around $20 (or the whole Lamy Safari pen for $23[:p]). The only downside is that the Lamy nib / feed is fairly unique and the nibs are not interchangeable with non Lamy feeds / sections. Lamy makes their own nibs unlike many companies (over 31 major FP makers) who buy their nibs from Bock. The Lamy nibs are interchangeable within the same feed family and come from EF to B as well as Italic and Right Oblique.

I would be interested if the threads on a Lamy section match any standard kits.

Similarly you can buy a Sailor Super Script with gold plated nib for $15 and just use the nib / feed / section. These nibs are interesting in that they are variable width with writing angle from EF to B. Downside is that you must use Sailor carts or converter. Sailor makes their own nibs.

redfishsc

CSA has no options on their large pens at all, and that is straight from them literally a week ago. I have a customer that wants a really broad nib for his Gent. I managed to calm his fears on the "medium" they include with their Gent and he's happy with it now that he has it in his hand and is using it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hold onto your socks. Within the next 4-6 weeks there will be a new supplier of a wide variety of nibs. They will range from steel with two-tone plating to 18k two-tone, from Juniors/Barons to Gents/Churchills and from true Asia fines (0.65mm) to true European broads (1.05mm). They will NOT be marked "Iridium Point Germany[8D]".

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Hold onto your socks. Within the next 4-6 weeks there will be a new supplier of a wide variety of nibs. They will range from steel with two-tone plating to 18k two-tone, from Juniors/Barons to Gents/Churchills and from true Asia fines (0.65mm) to true European broads (1.05mm). They will NOT be marked "Iridium Point Germany[8D]".

Great news Lou, Please keep me in the loop..
[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom