Berea Euro Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightal3

First time to make the Berea European Style Pencil and have a question. Instructions say to mark top barrel 1 25/32" from cap and turn down to brass removing all wood to end. Then in the last sentence it says I should have 1 13/16" of finished wood and rest shoud be bare brass. Seems like a 1/32" descrepancy to me. As it further states that this measurement is critical to the operation of the pen and the second most common error & I have an order for a set out of antler I want to be sure of what I am doing before I start. Anyone with experience on this kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I made the Woodcraft Euro when I first started turning.
The "b" company makes the Woodcraft kits.
Is yours a 7mm pen?(Cross style refill?)
If so it is essentially a dressed up slimline with a higher price.
IIRC the pen is straight forward as far as turning it.
I don't think 1/32 is gong to throw you off one way or the other especially if it is a Cross style refill as teh transmission has adjustment in it.
The main thing is to make sure the bottom blank is flush with bushings(measure with digital calipers if in doubt)
Even the pencil is not as critical as they make it sound on that particular one,the whole ccap isremoveable to get to the eraser.
A little more information would be helpful.
Of course it would be nice if Berea would have online instructions.
(You mileage may vary)
Hopefully someone can attest that the "b" company kits you have are the ones that I am thinking of supplied by WC.

wrightal3

Thanks Eagle. The particular kit I am addressing is the pencil kit. Looking at the assembly I don't think 1/32" is that critical on the cap but I have screwed up other kits and you never know. Always good to get feedback from someone who has made it before.

Fangar

Originally posted by wrightal3
<br />First time to make the Berea European Style Pencil and have a question. Instructions say to mark top barrel 1 25/32" from cap and turn down to brass removing all wood to end. Then in the last sentence it says I should have 1 13/16" of finished wood and rest shoud be bare brass. Seems like a 1/32" descrepancy to me. As it further states that this measurement is critical to the operation of the pen and the second most common error & I have an order for a set out of antler I want to be sure of what I am doing before I start. Anyone with experience on this kit?

Hmmm. I have turned the B co's Euro pens and Pencils. They are both the same and don't require a cut to the brass. They require a 13/32" (diameter) x 3/16" length tenon to be cut into the cap for the centerband. Not sure if we are talking about the same kit.

Here is a link to woodcraft's instruction sheet:

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77A78.pdf

James

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Fangar brings up a good point about making the tenon rather than turning to the brass.
In the event you have already turned off the antler to the tube it can be repaired but make sure the instructions match the kit.
The hole in the center ring will be noticably smaller if you are supposed to turn to the brass.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by airrat
<br />Only one I have done that has instructions like that is the Classic American.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77A79.pdf
That is why I asked if the "kit" in question is a 7mm "kit". The classic American is a Parker with 8mm tubes and I KNOW it requires turning to the tube.
Most of the Euros I have done are 7mm but the PKMon PAr is and 8mm but even that one requires a tenon rather than parting off.
It would be nice if they(bcompany) had an online refrence so those that would like to assist could refer to it but you know now the owner of the "b" company feels about penturners on internet forums.[:D]

wrightal3

B kit is an 8mm outer tube and instructions state to turn to brass. Matching the center ring & tube it is obvious that you must turn to brass for fit. I have made the Woodcraft 7mm with the tenon. Strange thing about this B pencil kit is that it is a tube in a tube design. Guess it is an adaptation of the B parker 8mm ball point kit to a pencil, difference being the tube in tube and lack of screw sleeve in top of lower barrel.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Al, if I am correct you are attempting the pencil version of the Berea Double Twist (Round Top) Euro, this pen requires that the cap section be turned down to the brass so that the centerband can be press fit in place (like the Perfect Fit Convertible).
If the tube is a bit long, the ring on the mechanism in the lower barrel will show... this is a common mistake made by turners on this pen and the PF. HOWEVER, I don't feel that a difference of 1/32" will be all that noticable.. in fact you will probably not notice it at all.
If you do a lot of this style (or PF) pens you might want to purchase the Berea cap gauge that helps you set the exact length you need...
In my personal experience, I have found that I prefer the length of wood left on the upper barrel to be a touch longer, rather than shorter than required. AND by longer I mean no more than maybe 1/32"
I hope this helps.

wrightal3

Thanks Griz,

Correct, it is the pencil version of the Berea double twist ball point. I don't see a top ring on the lower barrel like on the ball point. I agree, a bit long on the cap barrel is best. Strange thing on this pencil kit is that there are 4 tubes, two top & two botton, with one of each a bit smaller in diameter so that it slikes in the outer tube. Strange design. Says to glue the inner top tube when inserting in the top outer but doesn't say that on the bottom. Maybe the expansion from pressing in the pencil mechanism in the smaller lower tube is enough to secure in in the outer lower barrel. Confusing design and if I didn't have an order for this specific kit I wouldn't make it. Then this is the first time I have read the instructions before starting so maybe that is the origin of my fear.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom