Berea Double Twist Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

I just received 10 of these kits from a local distributor and there were NO instructions for the assembly and the center band comes in 3 pieces and requires no tenon , but I can't figure out just how it's done .
Does anyone have these that they can scan and send to me ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Yes in fact I just finished one last night. Your top barrel needs to be parted for the centerband. Measure from the top 1 13/16" and part the last approximatly 1/8" off down to the tube. Assembly goes like this, first press the nibs two parts together and slide on the small band, press on lower end of bottom barrel. Press the transmission holder into the other end. Lower barrel press the center band assembly on to the tube. Press the brass end cap incert onto the unthreaded end of the transmission. Press this into the top of this tube so that it is flush with the end, screw the clip and endcap on and then screw the upper barrel to the lower. ta da. thats it folks.

Wayne

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Yes in fact I just finished one last night. Your top barrel needs to be parted for the centerband. Measure from the top 1 13/16" and part the last approximatly 1/8" off down to the tube. Assembly goes like this, first press the nibs two parts together and slide on the small band, press on lower end of bottom barrel. Press the transmission holder into the other end. Lower barrel press the center band assembly on to the tube. Press the brass end cap incert onto the unthreaded end of the transmission. Press this into the top of this tube so that it is flush with the end, screw the clip and endcap on and then screw the upper barrel to the lower. ta da. thats it folks.

Wayne

For grain alignment use the following:
assemble lower barrel as descibed, i.e.press in the nib assembly and then the twist/transmission holder in, now you put in the refill, and screw on the transmission, test if it work and let sit in "neutral", means with the refill retracted. Now you press in the brass thingy in the top part of the upper barrel and the centerband assembly. Now you can slide the upper part onto the lower part, align the grain and press the two parts together. This is the best way to align the grain and i have made hundreds of those in the last two years.

Rudy

Paul in OKC

Hey Doug, I have done a ton of these. I may or may not do assembly a little diferent than some, but here goes. After turning and sanding, I part to the tube with a 3/16" parting tool to the brass tube. Try to clean the tube without removing too much brass, if neccesary clean the tube with a knife at assembly.Then apply finish. Put the nib parts together and slide on small ring, then press into barrel. Press threaded part on top of lower barrel. The centerband assembly goes together with the black ring, then macthing ring(I use a SMALL drop of thin CA here)Then press onto lower part of upper barrel, smaller rings to the wood. There will be a little 'overhang' of the center band. Press threaded part in for clip into top, I then screw the transmission onto the lower part, then align the grain and press the upper barrel onto the lower. I have never had any problems with 'proper' lengths on the upper that I was told about when I first started doing these. At woodworkersshop dot com, you can download instructions, but they will tell you to part off 1/4".
HTH

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by dougle40
<br />I just received 10 of these kits from a local distributor and there were NO instructions for the assembly and the center band comes in 3 pieces and requires no tenon , but I can't figure out just how it's done .
It would be better to post this in the pen turning section and not here.
About the tenon, you can make this pen either way:
cut short and have the tube extended (be sure you are square, this is Berea's recommendation) or you keep the upper barrel long and cut a tenon like Wayne described.

Rudy

dougle40

Paul ,
I checked that out at wood workers and those instructions are for the PSI kits . The Berea kits say that you don't need to turn a tenon for the center band . It's in 3 pieces not 1 .

G

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />
Originally posted by dougle40
<br />I just received 10 of these kits from a local distributor and there were NO instructions for the assembly and the center band comes in 3 pieces and requires no tenon , but I can't figure out just how it's done .
It would be better to post this in the pen turning section and not here.
About the tenon, you can make this pen either way:
cut short and have the tube extended (be sure you are square, this is Berea's recommendation) or you keep the upper barrel long and cut a tenon like Wayne described.

Rudy

Unless my computer is out of whack,this is the pen turning forum.
Hey! maybe we need an assembly forum too!

Scott

Your eyes don't deceive you, Eagle! Some Moderator type person (me) moved this topic over here to the Penturning forum. So now, not only are there more topics than you can keep track of, but people are willy-nilly moving topics from forum to forum! When will it ever end? ;-)

Scott.

Paul in OKC

I didn't look very close at all the instructions.
All the kits I have done are Berea. The pic of the center band shows the order of assembly of the three parts. I think the main thing with these is that how you cut for the center band will determine how the upper and lower halfs relate to each other. I personally don't care to have the ring on the top of the lower barrel showing, so I make the cut to leave the center band a little 'proud' of the tube so when I assemble, little or none of the ring shows. I also think that you can call Berea and they will fax you a copy of these instructions.

wayneis

Paul I have one of these pens that I just finished as per instructions in from of me and I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "The Ring" an the lower barrel. Are you refering to the tranmission holder that gets pressed into the lower barrel? If it is that ring that you are fefering to, at least on the kits that I have done it does not show after the top barrel is screwed on. There are a couple other kits that the transmission holder ring shows though.

Wayne

vick

If you go to Wood crafts web site http://www.woodcraft.com they sell Berea kits and have pdf instructions you can download.

Paul in OKC

Yep, that's what I'm talking about[:)] I have done a couple that ended up a little short(never happens[;)]) and looked ok, I just prefer that it not show.

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Paul I have one of these pens that I just finished as per instructions in from of me and I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "The Ring" an the lower barrel. Are you refering to the tranmission holder that gets pressed into the lower barrel? If it is that ring that you are fefering to, at least on the kits that I have done it does not show after the top barrel is screwed on. There are a couple other kits that the transmission holder ring shows though.

Wayne

wayneis

Paul if you just measure 1 13/16" and part the rest off it will not show. When ever the instructions give the two measurements, I always use the measurement for how long the wood that should be left after parting.

In other words if it says part off about 1/8" so that you are left with 1 13/16" of wood left then I measure from the end down 1 13/16" and part off what ever the rest is, be it 1/8 or 1/16 or whatever. Well I think that thats about the most confusing post I've ever made.
Wayne

woodpens

The Berea double twist, be it a Flat Top or Round Top, is a kit that a lot of people have trouble with. The trouble usually stems from not being precise with the measurements of the cap. The tube should be 2" long. You part off 3/16" down to the tube. The leaves 1 13/16" of wood remaining. Be very careful not to take off too much when squaring your blank. The 1 13/16" plus center band is critical to having a functional pen. I also use a round file (lightly) inside the cap just before pushing it onto the twist mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom