Berea Churchill Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have had a bad experience with a cigar pen coming back from a customer with the black enamel worn through to expose base metal in some places. I have since abandoned any kits with black enamel, or any black components to the kit. My dilemma: I would really like to add the Berea Churchill to my lineup. I am seeking feedback on the cosmetic durability of the black components of this kit, over time, for pens that have seen daily or at least regular use. I hope the news is good, but I seek the truth!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

SteveG...

I have been using a Churchill rollerball (gold titanium plating) as my everyday pen for the past 2 1/2 years. It gets thrown into the bottom of my breif case and it even has fallen out off my truck going 60 km/hr. So far it has shown very little wear. The only draw back is that is was an earlier version of the Churchill that had the "plastic" coupler (the coupler broke and I did a quick fix with CA glue) however, the new Churchills kits normally come now with the new metal coupler.

Wade

BigguyZ

SteveG...

I have been using a Churchill rollerball (gold titanium plating) as my everyday pen for the past 2 1/2 years. It gets thrown into the bottom of my breif case and it even has fallen out off my truck going 60 km/hr. So far it has shown very little wear. The only draw back is that is was an earlier version of the Churchill that had the "plastic" coupler (the coupler broke and I did a quick fix with CA glue) however, the new Churchills kits normally come now with the new metal coupler.

Wade

New Churchills have a metal coupler? I have a beautiful pen break on me twice! Two separate couplers!

zig613

New Churchills have a metal coupler? I have a beautiful pen break on me twice! Two separate couplers!

Yup. The kit now comes with a metal coupler. In some cases I have received both (plastic and metal couplers) in with the kit. I believe the new metal coupler was the answer to the continued breakage of the "plastic" coupler at the nib section. Here is a link to Beartoothwoods who sells the couplers http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_71 separately.

Wade

its_virgil

The black on the churchill is not black emamel but black plastic. You will not see it wear like black enamel. You are wise to not use black enamel kits. Many do not like the look of black plastic parts like on the churchill and El Grande but I think they look more like commercial pens than some of the pens with all metal parts. Look at some commercial pens...lots of plastic. Just my opinion on these last comments.
Do a good turn daily!
don

I have had a bad experience with a cigar pen coming back from a customer with the black enamel worn through to expose base metal in some places. I have since abandoned any kits with black enamel, or any black components to the kit. My dilemma: I would really like to add the Berea Churchill to my lineup. I am seeking feedback on the cosmetic durability of the black components of this kit, over time, for pens that have seen daily or at least regular use. I hope the news is good, but I seek the truth!

SteveG

Thanks for the inputs. Based on the responses here, I plan to go with the Churchill, especially since the coupler has now been upgraded. Happy turning!

Steve

curlyjoe

The black on the churchill is not black emamel but black plastic. You will not see it wear like black enamel. You are wise to not use black enamel kits. Many do not like the look of black plastic parts like on the churchill and El Grande but I think they look more like commercial pens than some of the pens with all metal parts. Look at some commercial pens...lots of plastic. Just my opinion on these last comments.
Do a good turn daily!
don

The only plastic part on the Berea Churchill is the delrin center band since they started adding the metal nib holders. I have disassemble these from top to bottom and they are metal.
These kits are durable as long as you dont carry them in in your pant pocket.

Bobalu

I had hoped that someone would have addressed the matter of black enamal pen kits in general not wearing well. I have made up several pens with all black enamal parts; specifically some cigar kits from WC. I'd appreciate your opinions before I make any more like these. I like the look, but I'd rather keep them for myself than sell them and risk an unhappy buyer.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Start a thread

I had hoped that someone would have addressed the matter of black enamal pen kits in general not wearing well. I have made up several pens with all black enamal parts; specifically some cigar kits from WC. I'd appreciate your opinions before I make any more like these. I like the look, but I'd rather keep them for myself than sell them and risk an unhappy buyer.

If this is your question, start a thread!! Should get good answers and it has not been "beat to death" in the past, though it has been mentioned.

No charge, give it a "go"!!

Top Bottom