Benefits of a chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

OK, this probably seems like a really stupid question, but everybody has always prescribed a Beale (or similar) chuck as a more accurate way to hold the mandrel and get a good alignment.

Can somebody tell me why? I use a chuck sometimes, but it's not entirely clear to me what makes it better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

I may be wrong but anytime you shorten the length of the mandrel and hold it along the shaft it seems that it will run truer. Since I started using the collet chuck The blanks seem to be closer to perfectly round. No more spacers involved, less chance for the mandrel shaft to bend from over tightening the tail stock or the mandrel nut.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by LEAP
<br />...No more spacers involved, less chance for the mandrel shaft to bend from over tightening the tail stock or the mandrel nut.
That's the big benefit to me. With the "standard" mandrels that screw into the #2 morse tapers, it seemed that I was always having to add just the right number of spacer bushings to fill the "empty space" of the long mandrel, especially when turning a single blank pen like the Sierra or Polaris/Atlas.

Now, even when turning two part pens, I always use the Bealle chuck. I usually turn each half individually to give that wobble free feel then mount both halves when applying the finish and final sanding.

I'm never in a hurry so the extra 4.75684 seconds it takes to loosen the collet and add the second blank really isn't a bother. [:)]

Another benefit is when doing closed end pens. When working on the end of the blank, the rod is securely held by the collet, no chance of coming loose as the #2 morse taper can do.

George

ahoiberg

speaking of collet chucks, i see one on wood n' whimsies website, has anyone used that one with any success? george, where did you get the beall one from?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />... george, where did you get the beall one from?
Andrew, I got it from Hartville tools, http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10983

They had them on sale a few months back for around $130 if memory serves.

George

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />
Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />... george, where did you get the beall one from?
Andrew, I got it from Hartville tools, http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10983

They had them on sale a few months back for around $130 if memory serves.

George

When ordering from Hartville Tool:

Mention "WoodNet" and receive:
15% off all regular priced merchandise!

Chuckie

cdcarter

That seems intuitively correct. I've been gradually gravitating to the B mandrel because of the stability issue. Funny, my local Wood Craft store didn't even know such a thing existed, which is strange since they carry Berea kits.

I think I'll try shortening up and turning separately. Do you put them both on at once for sanding and polishing? I think I'd be inclined to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom