Benefits of buying pre-drilled blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Well, I can think of two obvious benefits, but I have to be missing something as well as not aware of the detriments. Please tell me hat you think.

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

That's what I noticed. I guess they also eliminate some of the craftsmanship.

While I have you: what is the difference between he trim line and comfort line? I also see this fun line (and notice that it is not warrantied).

Thank you.

TonyL

5 slim lines. I don't like fatter pens to use personally, so I just started with what I enjoy writing with. My family and friends also prefer the slimmer lines. We think the heavier ones are nice and "prettier", but we would not use them. I do have a cigar kit, and I will buy some trim lines tomorrow night.

TonyL

Thank you. I am visiting your site now (well as soon as I m done typing). My wife wants an acrylic with golden retrievers in it.

Dan Masshardt

Since you don't like fat pens, here are some nice ones ( I like anyway) that are not very big but have better quality refill options.

Tetra nano stylus

New series rollerball / fountain (very slim for this kind of pen.

Magnetic vertex

Aero / Sierra / liberty (Different but similar overall)

Also, keep in mind that many of the rollerball / fountains have a thin piece for the part you actually hold.

TonyL

Since you don't like fat pens, here are some nice ones ( I like anyway) that are not very big but have better quality refill options.

Tetra nano stylus

New series rollerball / fountain (very slim for this kind of pen.

Magnetic vertex

Aero / Sierra / liberty (Different but similar overall)

Also, keep in mind that many of the rollerball / fountains have a thin piece for the part you actually hold.
Thanks. I am also a ball point guy an don't want to mess with a cap. I will definitely check these out! Thank you. That's not to say that someone may ask me to make him or her one of the other styles.

plano_harry

Tony, the real detriment would be that you can't get really nice wood in the pre-drilled blanks and you pay more. After a few pens, you will be hooked on finding better wood and they won't meet your needs. I tried some. They work fine, but you just get an average pen. You don't have to have a drill press. Many members prefer to drill on the lathe. I do either, depending on the project.

TonyL

That makes sense

Tony, the real detriment would be that you can't get really nice wood in the pre-drilled blanks and you pay more. After a few pens, you will be hooked on finding better wood and they won't meet your needs. I tried some. They work fine, but you just get an average pen. You don't have to have a drill press. Many members prefer to drill on the lathe. I do either, depending on the project.

That makes sense. I will skip it. I drill on my lathe (I don' know if that is good or bad, it was just less costly than buying a drill press).

Thank you.

Cmiles1985

I would agree with the above: lack of selection. I'd have to say that drilling on the lathe is better for these reasons:
Faster- the center doesn't have to be found, the blank set in a vice and centered to the bit, and it's much easier to control the speed you are boring. Also, you have a VS lathe making the speed of rotation very controllable. If you have the dedicated pen blank chuck ($80 from PSI), you can complete the drilling process very quickly.
More control- I pretty much rambled enough above to cover this. I could almost never get my blanks drilled perfectly on the drill press. On the lathe, I've messed up once (allowed bit to touch wood before locking tail stock down so it drilled OOR).

I received some pre-drilled mystery wood in a box of acrylics I bought off of a fellow member here, and they're great when the neighbor you can't stand wants to buy one, but you know you'll likely never get paid... In other words, it knocks a small step out of the process, and it's plain.

TonyL

Thank you. I use the PSI accessory. I love it.
The only time I can ever see myself selling anything is to raise funds for charity. And I will actually sell at cost excluding my labor or just donate everything and practice!

I am a CPA, but don't work in the industry anymore. I have stopped doing tax work years ago. Too much free time wasted on a few thousand dollars earned. At 50, I am ready to enjoy my free time. Guitars, aquariums, and now pen turning is a nice way to spend it!

Thank you. You folks outstanding!

toddlajoie

I find the trimlines to be nicer to write with than the basic strait bodied slimline. They aren't significantly larger/heavier than the slim, like the Cigar will be, but they "feel" a bit better to me.

The Aero series (Craft Supply, Exotics, and a few others sell them) is also smaller in size than the Sierra series, and I like them a bit nicer than the Sierra. The Aero's also do a better job of making a feminine pen in my opinion than the similar style Sierra Elegant series.

You could also look into the Designer/European pens, which are 7mm cross ballpoint pens but a little bit beefier while not being large. Their profile can be varied a bit to make it lighter or heavier depending on your desire. Another is the Slimline Pro, which is a larger version of the Slimline (different size tubes, 8mm drill bit) and uses the Parker refills (like the Cigar, Aero, Sierra, etc) which, again in my opinion, write better and come in a greater variety of ink types and colors (you know you want purple ink...:biggrin:)

As to the original question, everyone covered it, but to recap:

Pros: Convienient, precise, quick, no drilling needed

Cons: Expensive, limited wood selection, limited kit selection, difficult to modify, segment, etc.

plano_harry

I like the PSI Graduate if you are happy with Cross style refills.

Step up to a Berea Round Top Euro, or a Perfect Fit Convertible with a Schmidt Easy Flo refill and you get a much nicer writing experience. These can be turned pretty slim, but are a little bit trickier because of the centerband design.

WriteON

Be creative and drill. I used maple from a pool cue shaft.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom