Bench Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I bought the Porter Cable variable speed grinder at Lowes. It goes slow enough to sharpen HSS. Woodcraft is again carrying one, but at the time I needed one, they didn't have one.

Wildman

I am a big proponent for buying your bench grinder locally. If there is a problem with the bench grinder right out of the box easy to get an exchange or refund. Buying locally saves you on return shipping or restocking fees.

There are many variable two speed (1725/3400 rpm) bench grinders on the market, shop the sales.

I like all ¾ HP, 8" x 1" models available today. I do not care whether comes in 1725 or 3400 RPM's or combination of the two.

lapdog

I bought the woodcraft slow-speed grinder for approx. $107 earlier this year.

Wildman

I could buy that grinder for $109.99 today with free shipping + $8.52 sales tax, I live too far from a Woodcraft store so Shipping item to me make more sense.

Even though Woodcraft grinder at only $118.51 to buy and will save me buying Friable grinding wheels, would not do it. Read their return policy on power tools.

Last edited:

spnemo

+1 for the PorterCable vs - I love mine. A buddy uses the woodcraft grinder; it is nice but I prefer mine. I have ordered powertools from woodcraft with no issues, they are a very easy company to work with.

sbwertz

I could buy that grinder for $109.99 today with free shipping + $8.52 sales tax, I live too far from a Woodcraft store so Shipping item to me make more sense.

Even though Woodcraft grinder at only $118.51 to buy and will save me buying Friable grinding wheels, would not do it. Read their return policy on power tools.

I bought a grinder from Woodcraft in March, but it had a faulty switch. Apparently quite a number of them did, because they would not replace it, and stopped carrying it. They refunded my money and gave me free shipping back.

Sharon

JerrySambrook

At this moment, you want to stay away from the Woodcraft grinders, because they are on recall for the latest run of them due to a change in manufacturer. There is a bad runout problem with the shafts.
The two local ones will not sell any at this time due to the problem.
If your local one is selling them, ask about the runout problem.
It is large enough that Woodcraft corporate does not know how to handle it right now, so the ones in the local stores are on hold

Wildman

Sharon, Woodcraft is good about problems with their slow speed bench grinder, within that 90 day window. In some cases has taken care of folks after that 90 day window too. Folks used to recommend you try out the grinder in store before buying.

At one time Woodcraft had a two year window on power tools, then went to 1 year, and now down to 90 days. That is not bad considering a lot of manufacturers only provide a one year limited warranty.

Could not find that Woodcraft slow speed grinder on-line today.

skywizzard

Count me in on the Porter Cable. I got mine at Lowes also, a great piece of equipment for the price. The wheels are well balanced, has a light, variable speed and even comes with a dressing tool.

spnemo

I checked with both my local Woodcraft, the website customer service, and tech support. They were all unaware of any problems with the slow speed grinders. There is no recall.

MoJo

Woodcraft Slow-Speed Grinder

I gambled and bought the 8" slow-speed grinder at Woodcraft today. They are 10% off this weekend. I asked about old vs. new thanks to this thread. They actually had both available and told me that they bought a couple extra pallets of the old grinder when they heard about the new grinder. More than one of the guys recommended that I go with the old model (some in whispers). I figured this would be the best choice as I can always get the new model if I have any issues.

Also, like mentioned in one of these threads, it comes with good, white wheels. I believe they are 60 & 120 grit (could be wrong) but they are better for sharpening than found on most other grinders. These wheels alone sell for $40 each at Woodcraft.

Wildman

You have to shop the sales to find a bargain on friable wheels today. Since cannot buy a friable grinding wheel in my town, I look at shipping too! I like white, pink or K grade wheels.

Sharpening Supplies a great source for white and blue K wheels. Shipping cost reasonable too.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com

I always check Hartville Tool for sales too!

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10846

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12888

White wheels can sharpen HSS and better grade steel just fine. If you own Thompson, tools might opt for harder K wheels. Never noticed a difference between pink and white wheels and sharpening HSS. Think the only supplier of pinks wheels sold here is Camel Grinding (CGW). Have not found a vendor offering pink wheels at bargain prices lately. Do not think have ever used either I or J wheels which also good for sharpening HSS tools.

Top Bottom