Being basically cheap err I mean frugal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick_G

I didn't like the idea of shelling out $15 to $30 every time I wanted to try a new kit for pen mill shafts. I put a couple brass tubes from a slim line into some scrap wood and then turned them down to give me a perfect fit inside the El Grande tubes. Slipped them over my slim line shaft and it milled the El Grande blanks perfectly. I was turning them close to size then hand sanding but this works much better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

That's not being cheap.. Quite honestly, you have to be a fool not to! I have about 12 of these sleeves, there are way too many pen tubes to buy a new tool just to make a spacer sleeve!

I recomend that you use all diffrent woods so you can tell them apart. In fact I know what sleeve goes to what kit just based on the wood type.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rick,

Nice that you discovered this on your own. However, this tip and countless more are on the site. Pop the top on your favorite beverage and read some of the tips and tricks available here.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Slight improvement: Use Corian or slide differing diameters of brass tube inside each other to achieve your desired result.

Brass and corian don't shrink or expand, based on humidity. Wood does.

FWIW

Daniel

I went full frills on this issue. I actually made a set of pilots for every tube diameter.
yep full blown pampered extravagance. but it sure is nice to have the right pilot diameter.
now I just need to get a cutter head for all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom