Behlen's Woodturner's Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff came highly recommended by a friend who turns out beautiful items. How should it be applied? I can't seem to not put too much, resulting in uneven buildup, streaking, etc. I am putting a small amount on a small piece of cloth and applying with the lathe running. It seems as little as I can get on the cloth turns into much more than I need.
TIA,
ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Practice, practice, Practice... You want to get enough to wipe from one end to another. Then you smooth it out with the friction of the pad against the blank. Things will get warm. This is where you might want another drop of finish to help evenly coat.. You work it back and forth and it starts to really shine.

This was all done by hand with "French Polishing"... Now we do it on the lathe and it goes faster...

Then I use TSW on top.

tipusnr

Be sure your sanding is done evenly as well. Uneven sanding or not wiping the item down after sanding will result in an uneven, or streaked, finish as well.

I hold the paper towel (or clothe) tight to the top of the bottle, tip the bottle, and apply. If the wood has a large variety of open and closed pores you might try a sanding sealer, sand, then apply the Behlen's. A couple of times I have used the Behlen's as a sanding sealer by sanding to 400 grit, applying a light coat of Behlen's, resanding with 400 grit and then sanding with organic wool I use.

Don't get discouraged - it'll come.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I use a similar product from Mylandds.
I also have a heavy hand.
I went to Wally's and in the pharmacy section I picked up little travel bottles like you would put shampoo in.
I transfered my sealer,polish and blo into them and labeled them.
THey go 4 for less than $2.00.
Of course you could use anyhting that has a small opening but those have a decent self closing lid I can close with one hand.
If they fall ,they don't all spill and I can meter out small quantities.

Gary

Ken, Behlen's Woodturner's Finish is an excellent product. I've used it and really like it. The secret has already been pointed out...you just have to apply thin coats. I transfered some to the red cap poly propylene dispensing bottles (The Container Store). Then fold your cloth and use one or two drops and apply. It just takes practice.

dougle40

I've used the same product but the Canadian version for years now and haven't found any problems .
I use the same type of bottle as mentioned above and paper toweling , just put a small amount on the toweling and apply it , rather quickly, to the entire length of the pen first then continue ,with the same piece of toweling,moving it back and forth with a little bit of pressure until you feel some heat building up and keep going until you get the maximum shine . The heat build up will even out the finish .

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Barry G. has been using it for some time, Tom. You might want to give him a call and pick his brain. His business number is 888-717-4202.
Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />For those of you using Behlens---is the finish lasting?? Also, do you think it is better than Mylands?? Opinions??

melogic

I've used the Behlens on a couple of other turnings, not pens. I like the ease of use and the finish it gives. I just use white Bounty Paper towels. They seem to work great. I am going to start using this finish with a top coat or two of TSW on pens.

tomwojeck

Originally posted by kmassing
<br />This stuff came highly recommended by a friend who turns out beautiful items. How should it be applied? I can't seem to not put too much, resulting in uneven buildup, streaking, etc. I am putting a small amount on a small piece of cloth and applying with the lathe running. It seems as little as I can get on the cloth turns into much more than I need.
TIA,
ken

Ken,

I've been applying it by putting a dab on an old cotton shirt or rag and then wiping it on with the lathe running, similar to other friction polishes. One thing that I did find is that the cloth can't have any texture to it, otherwise it may cause streaks.

The trick I've found, and as others have mentioned is the buildup of enough heat. As I'm working it, I can see the excess liquid blend in as the heat builds.

I usually put 2 coats on and then after it cools apply some TSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom