Beginners list - Comments PLEASE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jroach21

Fellow Pen Turners,

I am in the beginning stages of setting up my wood shop to turn pens,bottle stoppers, and some of the other projects that I have found. I plan to purchase the Jet 10'' x 14'' Variable Speed Indexing Mini Lathe from Rockler when they go on sale in a couple weeks. I have also contacted Woodturnigz and they gave me a list of items to get me started. The list might be a little more than the average beginner, but I decided that I have one chance to get into this hobby so I'm going to do it....plus it helps when my mommy is footing the bill. (before you ask, no she will not adopt you!:laugh:)

Looking at the list below do you think that there is anything that I could or should change? Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 MT Maxi Mandrel (w/7mm DB)
PK-PEN2 Slimline Pen Kit - 24kt Gold (Fancy)
SP5ROLL 5 Roll Sandpaper Set
MMESH Micro-Mesh Kit (3"x6" sheets - 9 grades)
GTHICK2 CA Glue Thick (Gap Filling)
MYSAMP Mylands Sample Kit - 1oz bottles
PKMWR 2 x 7/8" Wrenches for Mandrel
EWT-ES-ROUND EWT 9620: Easy Start Finisher: Round
CSCPENCHK2 Large Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck
TM32 1/2" Drill Chuck - #2 Morse Taper
PTINTOOL Pen Tube Insertion Tool (7-15mm)
BTRIMKIT9 9 Piece Barrel Trimming Kit
PBBOCOTE Bocote Pen Blank
PBBLOOD Bloodwood Pen Blank
PBZEBRA Zebrawood Pen Blank
PBLEOPARD Leopardwood Pen Blank
PBPH Purpleheart Pen Blank
DB27/64 27/64" Drill Bit
PKGAPEN24 Gatsby 24kt Gold Pen Kit
PKGABU Gatsby Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I would consider adding both Medium and Thin CA Glues. Also, I use quite a bit of epoxy but you could do the same with the CA glues.

Dan

walshjp17

I would opt for a few more cutting tools -- at least one or two more than just the EWT round finisher. I would suggest the EWT dedicated pen turning tool with an R2 cutter and a spindlemaster.

If budget allows, I would also suggest a skew chisel (perhaps and oval shaft). Mastering the skew takes time but it is well worth it as the skills are necessary for almost any other spindle turning project you decide to undertake.

edicehouse

Look around the site, there are several people in Texas very active, you might be able to meet up with them and discuss better what you need/want/etc.

hazmat74

Rather than getting a dedicated pen blank drilling chuck, you may want to get a Nova chuck and their Pen Plus jaws. The Nova offers a variety of jaws that may come in handy as you move forward and find other areas of interest utilizing the lathe. Woodturningz sells several types, as well as the jaw options. It's a bit more expensive this way, but likely worth it.

Also, get rid of the tube insertion tool and get yourself a set of transfer punches from Harbor Freight. They will come in far more handy for far more things.

Dan Masshardt

Assume you are getting more than one of each kit? I'd get chrome instead of gold (preference)

Radius rather than round cutter.

You must buy Ricks sanding mandrel or make one yourself.

Dust mask
Safety glasses And or face shield.

Line of credit for all the other money you'll be spending.

I personally would go with the PKGAPENSS if you are interested in 24kt Gatsby pens. for just a few dollars more (about $8) you get 3 kits instead of 1 and the barrel trimming sleeve. also I use my insertion tool every time. they are a must have if you ever plan on plan doing larger pens like rollerballs. they also can be cleaned up easily with some sandpaper if you get glue on it. the mylands works great but I only use it for turnings like bowls and vases that don't get handled much. in my experience it will wear off of pens from the oils in your hand. I agree with getting some thin & medium CA also for finishing. just my 2 cents. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Definitely an r2 carbide tool instead of or in addition to the round tool. I also like the yellow padded sanding sheets better than the rolls of red sandpaper.

nates02gt

I started out with regular sandpaper but now I use Abranet sheets for almost all my sanding. IMHO it is easier to use and can be used over and over. I would also suggest as others have to get a multi purpose chuck. I purchased the Barracuda chuck and use the pin jaws to hold the blanks for drilling.

Dan Masshardt

I believe you forgot 60 degree live center. I'd recommend getting a good one. If you go the mandrel saver route you maybe able to get around having one.

It would probably be best to decide as early as possible if you will be a mandrel turner or turn between centers. If you will use a mandrel, get the mandrel saver as well.

If you will turn between centers, don't bother buying a mandrel, wrenches and saver at all.

Both methods work but If you switch later (like I did) you'll have a bunch of stuff (mandrel a, saver, some bushings) sitting around unused.

kovalcik

Well since you asked, my opinions in blue.

#2 MT Maxi Mandrel (w/7mm DB) Maybe a mandrel saver live center. Not necessarily needed with the Maxi, but still nice to have. Also buy a second mandrel shaft in case you bend the original.
MMESH Micro-Mesh Kit (3"x6" sheets - 9 grades) I like the foam backed ones better than the sheets.
GTHICK2 CA Glue Thick (Gap Filling) Add Thin and Medium
EWT-ES-ROUND EWT 9620: Easy Start Finisher: Round I am probably in the minority, but don't start with carbide. Get a roughing gouge, skew, a parting tool, grinder, and sharpening jig. You can add carbide later. If you must do carbide to start, there are cheaper versions from people on this site and elsewhere than EZ brand. Cheaper cutters too.
CSCPENCHK2 Large Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck Go with a regular chuck and pin jaws or pen drilling jaws. More versatile if you decide to do more than pens. I have the Barracuda II and like it. Woodturningz should be able to get it.
PTINTOOL Pen Tube Insertion Tool (7-15mm) Fluff. Don't need it. If you reallly want one, go to Home Depot and buy a tapered punch for few bucks.
PBPH Purpleheart Pen Blank May want to add a few acrylics for fun, just to try them out.
DB27/64 27/64" Drill Bit
PKGABU Gatsby Bushings

Also, if you think you may want to turn other items, you may want to look at the Jet 1221. The 1014 might be a little limiting sizewise.

Either way, the list is pretty good place to start. Have fun!

dbledsoe

If I were starting over, I would buy the 1221 Jet instead of the 1014. I love my 1014, but several times lately it has seemed too small. And you can buy a Ringmaster attachment for the 1221 but not for the 1014.
The mandrel and wrenches and the insertion tool are a waste of money IMO. I have them. Occasionally I use the insertion tool to hold a blank to spray paint it, but that's just because it is there and useless otherwise. Use your new lathe and a pen blank and make yourself one if you really need it.
I used the mandrel one time and put it in a drawer. Never used it again. Way too much trouble to mess with. Everything since has been TBC.

kovalcik

Ah yes the mandrel vs. TBC decision. Most people are divided one way or the other and I have seen beautiful work from both camps. I TBC for single barrel pens and usually use a mandrel for 2 barrel pens. Having both barrels mounted lets me visualize the finished pen better and I find I match the barrels up better that way. That is just me though, YMMV. You could buy the mandrel, a 60 degree live center, and a 60 degree dead center and try both methods. If you decide to TBC you are out ~$22 for the mandrel+ wrenches (save $6 if you already have a couple adjustable wrenches). If you like with mandrel then you are out $10 for the dead center. Not that big of an investment either way, and you can always use both if you want.

RK1468

One of my best purchases early on was transfer punch set. Sooner or later, you'll need them to disassemble a pen. Also come in handy a bunch of different ways once you have them on hand. I think Penn State stocks them but you can get a set of 28 at Harbor Freight for $10.

flyitfast

Agree with most of the suggestions and most of your list.
Someone suggested a Nova chuck. If you have a WoodCraft close by, they have the G3 chuck on sale right now. All you would need would be the new pen jaws which are great. This chuck will allow you to do a lot of other turnings in the future.
gordon

hard hat

MMESH Micro-Mesh Kit (3"x6" sheets - 9 grades)
GTHICK2 CA Glue Thick (Gap Filling)
EWT-ES-ROUND EWT 9620: Easy Start Finisher: Round
CSCPENCHK2 Large Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck
PTINTOOL Pen Tube Insertion Tool (7-15mm)
PBPH Purpleheart Pen Blank
DB27/64 27/64" Drill Bit
PKGABU Gatsby Bushings

remove the above bolded items. add these:
-Utility Grip 4 Jaw Chrome Lathe Chuck System: includes 2 sets of jaws and FREE 8" Jumbo Flat Jaws
Item #: CUG3418CCX
-Pen Blank Drilling Jaws for C Series Lathe Chucks
Item #: CJAWPEN
-#2MT Pen Mandrel Saver
Item #: PKMSTS2
-thin and medium CA
-Set of 3 Benjamin's Best HSS Pen Turning Chisel Set
Item #: LCPM3

you'll be thankful later with the increased versatility of having the real jaw chuck. the chisel set will get you started well, just make sure you have a way to sharpen them. your list was complete and will work, but its better to not waste money on certain tools or supplies based on personal experience.

good luck on your adventure down the rabbit hole of turning, I hope to see pictures soon.

oh, all this is based on ordering only from PSI

Get the mandrel saver if you are going with a mandrel, if not get a good dead center and live center. I would say get a roughing gouge and skew of you have a grinder. If not get the A taste of carbide set from Eddie Castelin (eddiecastelin.com)and a DMT stone for sharpening. I like getting my CA glue from Exotic Blanks ($5 for 2oz),almost everything else from WoodTurningz or Craft Supplies, PSI only if I have to.

I don't have a Jet 1221 so I can't comment yet (getting mine next week)

Levi Woodard
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

sbwertz

I use the old long tapered cap from a ca bottle on the rare occasions I need an insertion tool. Like this one. Also works to hold a tube while painting. Also agree on the transfer punches. You can disassemble pens with them.

Attachments

• cacap.jpg
    cacap.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

jroach21

Thank you all for your comments! This is what I ended up ordering:
2 PK-PEN2 Slimline Pen Kit - 24kt Gold (Fancy)
3 MMESHPADSX Micro-Mesh 3" x 4" Pads (9 Grades)
4 GTHICK2 CA Glue Thick (Gap Filling)
5 GMED2 CA Glue Medium 2oz
6 GSTHIN2 CA Glue Super Thin
7 MYSAMP Mylands Sample Kit - 1oz bottles
8 PKMWR 2 x 7/8" Wrenches for Mandrel
9 NVG3 48202:Nova G3 Chuck (Insert Version)
10 NVINS-1x8 IDNS:Nova Chuck Insert - 1" x 8TPI
11 NVJAW-PENPLUS 6034: Nova Pen Plus Jaws
12 EWT-ES-ROUND EWT 9620: Easy Start Finisher: Round
13 TM32 1/2" Drill Chuck - #2 Morse Taper
14 PTINTOOL Pen Tube Insertion Tool (7-15mm)
15 BTRIMKIT9 9 Piece Barrel Trimming Kit
16 PBBOCOTE Bocote Pen Blank
17 PBBLOOD Bloodwood Pen Blank
18 PBZEBRA Zebrawood Pen Blank
19 PBLEOPARD Leopardwood Pen Blank
20 PBJATOBA Jatoba/Brazilian Cherry Pen Blank
21 PBPH Purpleheart Pen Blank
22 DB27/64 27/64" Drill Bit
23 PKGAPEN24 Gatsby 24kt Gold Pen Kit
24 PKGABU Gatsby Bushings
25 LCPM3 Benjamin's Best 3 lathe Tools
also I ordered the Mirka Abranet Turners Sanding Pack from Amazon.

Safety Glasses I went with Harley-Davidson HD503 Safety Glasses with Silver Matte Frame and Silver Mirror Tint Hardcoat Lens , also from Amazon. I plan on taking them to a place to have the lenses replaced with my perscription. that way I can see what I am doing.

Thanks for all your comments! I will post pictures of my shop and stuff as soon as its finished.

kovalcik

Good luck and most of all have fun! That list will definitely get you started. What lathe did you decide on?

I notice you just had to have the pen tube insertion tool. :biggrin:

jroach21

I haven't purchasd the lathe yet, but I plan to get the Jet1041. And yes....I decided to go with the pen tub insertion tool. It sounded like its something that is more of a personal prefernce. :)

Top Bottom