For the beginners - How to turn a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Please visit my website and see my answer to most of your questions. There is more information here than I could ever put into a message on the forum.

www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen10.html

This not the only way to do things, but it will get you through the basics. Yeah, I know it is just a SlimLine and not a fancy Cigar or Baron, but the techniques are the same.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I read through those instructions myself a few times before attempting my first pen, then went back and read them again after to see what subtle points I was missing.

As a newbe of a couple of months and maybe 2 dozen pens I need to say thanks to Russ for all the info he has made available to anyone who wants to read a little. I had the good fortune of researching Russ's website before I ever got my lathe set up. I read everything he had posted and today my pens turn out quite well because I took to heart everything he said wether it was sanding or finishing or whatever. THANKS RUSS!!! for your time and effort.:):):)

M

monkeynutz

One of the first places I found when I got interested in the hobby. Thanks for all the help, Russ!

LEAP

Russ I started with your web site and still go back every now and then see what might be new. You have tought me more than any other individual when it comes to pens. I've been fortunate to have a few really good teachers over the years and include you in the mix. I hope to someday meet and thank you in person.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've been making pens for about three years and I STILL refer back to Russ's website when I feel like I've gone stale. The biggest advantage in the past three years is I now also have Russ's videos. For those of you who are "visual learners", it's the best money you will spend. Also, don't stop at the "How to make a pen" portion of Russ's site. Go through the "Finishing Secrets" series. I'd be nowhere without the many useful pieces of information shared. Again, buy the videos. They are worth their weight in Rhodium!

darrylm

I learned how to finish my pens with CA/BLO from Russ. I recommend him to anyone that wants to learn!
Thanks again Russ for sharing your knowledge with us.

Sfolivier

Russ, your site is fantastic. I wish I had found it when I was making my first pens and would encourage all the beginners to go there.

The "The Pen Turner's Workbook: Making Pens from Simple to Stunning" book from Barry Gross is what got me started. I would recommend the book to all beginners. It can be found used for about $10 on amazon.

its_virgil

Russ' site is a great place to learn about making pens and about pen finishes. As Lou mentioned, his videos are also great...the best penturning money I've spent. I've spent a lot of time there. Thanks Russ!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Thanks for all of the nice comments. I appreviate them.

I posted this link in answer to the messages on another thread that were complaining that there was nothing here on the IAP site for the beginner, and that the experienced penturners were not answering their questions.

Top Bottom