Been a while, learned some things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhammis

Howdy everybody,

It's been awhile since I last posted but as many of you know I'm sure, life sometimes gets in the way of our hobbies. Work, wives and kids can put a crimp on the time spent in front of the lathe for sure. I actually went for a stretch during the past 6 weeks where I couldn't get in front of my lathe for about two straight weeks. Things have quieted down though and I've managed to get out and spend some quality time in the garage. I've learned a few things through some trial and error as well as reading on here that seems to make life a little easier.

Sharpening seems to be the big trick. If it's drill bits or tools, having them sharp seems to be the key to easier work. I seem to have found a good technique for sharpening my skew but my gouge is a little trickier on my set of HF stones. I can get it done, but it's a challenge. I picked up an Easy Wood Mini Rougher and that is pretty cool at getting the blanks turned down close. It really takes the bulk of the time of removing material off. I also picked up a drill doctor for sharpening bits. I was having a problem with oversized holes and it looks like the dull brad point bit that I was using was the culprit. I ground down the brad point and turned it into a split point and boom, my drilling problems were no more. I will fall into the category of people who love the DD.

I made my first two acrylic pens, one a Euro and one a Teacher's Pen and the acrylics came out great. I've gotten a few requests for those from friends and family so the above info about having sharp tools and bits is even more important.

I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship with thin CA. I watched Russ' youtube video about putting on a CA finish and attempted it last night. I was able to get a few coats on without any problem, then sanded with MM and had a nice shine on it. I went to assemble the Euro and glue the center band on and screwed up the whole thing. A small bit of glue ran down the side and when I picked it up off the wax paper it stuck to my finger, leaving a finger print on the side. So now the nice gold center band is glued on and the finish is jacked. I'm thinking if I put a piece of tape around my center band I can redo the finish without damaging it (hopefully!) Lesson learned here, use medium CA for gluing the center band.

All in all I'm still having a ton of fun with this hobby. I love that I'm getting better with it all the time and always learning new ways to do things and that people like what I'm making. I need a bit of improvement/practice before I'll feel comfortable selling them, but I can see making a small profit (enough to pay for my habit...err...hobby at least) not being out of the realm of possibility. For me though it's just a very gratifying thing to be able to create these pens.

Thanks to everyone who posts here. I've learned a lot just by lurking and reading everyone's opinions and how their techniques work or don't.

MobilMan

dh-sounds like you are having fun. No matter how many pens you make, you will always be learning. European is one of my favorites. I've found that first, lay the center band so the part that goes to the blank side is up. After turning the tenon, use skew or any pointed tool and make a 'v' right next to the shoulder. Doesn't have to be very deep. !/16 in will do. Spread a thin coat of thin c.a. most way around, thin coat. Then set the blank in the center band. Any excess glue will go in the v instead of squeezing out to be able to be touched. Just leave sit awhile to dry.

Top Bottom