BEB Matching Pen Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I have a customer who would like a green dyed Box Elder Burl Slimline pen/pencil set. But they want a double pen box to match the pens. Does anyone know if you can buy a BEB pen box?:confused: Or is there a source of bigger pieces of BEB that I can make my own?:question:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I have a customer who would like a green dyed Box Elder Burl Slimline pen/pencil set. But they want a double pen box to match the pens. Does anyone know if you can buy a BEB pen box?:confused: Or is there a source of bigger pieces of BEB that I can make my own?:question:

contact Bill at Arizona Silhouette, he sometimes has larger pieces or can get them. The worse he can say is No.

rjwolfe3

Mike I sent AS an email. Hopefully they will respond. Marc, gonna check that site out and see what they have. Thanks for the replies.

One more thing, if I find a bigger piece of BEB where could I send it to be dyed and stabilized?

rjwolfe3

Bummer, Bill wrote back and pointed out the BEB is very unstable and he said it might be difficult to make into a box. I will let the customer know and see what he wants to do.

Does anyone know if the above statement is true? I thought about just getting a chunk and sending it to be dyed and stabilized but if it is still hard to work with then it may no be worth my time.

Last edited:

ldb2000

Not to disagree with Bill , but isn't that the reason to get it stabilized ? then once it is stablized it should work as well as any other kind of wood or acrylic . JMHO

marcruby

I've never turned box elder burl other than pen blanks, but since people sell box elder burl turning blanks I would assume that not all BEB is unstable. At least nothing that using CA as a sealer wouldn't fix.

It's the coloring that stumps me. I don't dye wood as a rule, so I have no clue how to match the pen blanks. My style would be more to try and match the figure and let the coloring provide contrast.

I'm half tempted to track down a large piece of burl and experiment....

BruceK

Rob, I would suggest you contact River Ridge as mrcook4570 suggested. They will dye and stabilize wood. As they already sell dyed BEB pen blanks (which are real nice) they might be able to come up with some for a pen box.

Top Bottom