a beautiful amboynia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

One of my first CA finishes is on an Amboyna burl made for a cigar kit. the finish is prefect!:biggrin::biggrin: BUT the blank is sanded smaller than the kit bushing.

So to save the beautiful amboyna burl blank. would you apply several more coats of CA to the correct dia.?

Any suggestions are helpful. thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I think it depends on how much smaller the finished blank is than the bushings. If it is a very small, very small amount smaller you may be able to complete the pen and not notice a discernible difference between the pen parts and the blank. If you have calipers you might measure the pen parts and then measure the blank and see how much of a difference there is, you may find that you can live with the blank the size it is.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes. I have done it several times. If I am using unstabilized wood and it happens to be soft, I will build up a coating that is probably .5 mm thick to strengthen the soft wood. It works! I notice more dents on wood that has a thin finish. CA adds to the strength of soft wood in proportion to the thickness of the CA.

On Seirras as an 'example', IIRC, the nib end is 12.10 mm, I sand down to 11.95 to 12.0, and build up CA to 12.20 and sand back down for final polishing. Going up and down the scale even more is fine.

M

monkeynutz

Sure, put a few more coats of CA on. I have seen blanks built up considerably that way (although I never had to do it myself :wink::redface:).

You do run into the likelihood that you will glue your blanks to the bushings, so run a razor blade around the joint with the lathe "off" (do not try it with a spinning lathe!) before you attempt to take the blanks apart from the bushings. It may also help to put a tiny bit of paste wax on the tips of the tubes and then put them back on the bushings before applying those extra coats of CA.

nava1uni

I have built up an edge that was turned smaller then the nib. I use medium CA and applied it with packing material. It allows me to apply CA to more specific sites then a paper towel. Then sand it to the desired contour.

In the past when I had done the under cut and it is serious I mount the pieces back into the bushings then back onto the mandrel set up to turn. Using a cutoff tool I cut the material back about 3/8 of an inch. Then I cut a small piece of deer antler and drill it out for the brass tube. I then install the antler piece onto the tube and glue in place using instant glue (CA). Square up the end then remount the tubes back onto the mandrel and turn to the bushing. You can use any contrasting medium you want but I have had great success with the deer antler. Hope this helps.
Richard Van Hulle, Aiken Pen & Pencil

LanceD

In the past when I had done the under cut and it is serious I mount the pieces back into the bushings then back onto the mandrel set up to turn. Using a cutoff tool I cut the material back about 3/8 of an inch. Then I cut a small piece of deer antler and drill it out for the brass tube. I then install the antler piece onto the tube and glue in place using instant glue (CA). Square up the end then remount the tubes back onto the mandrel and turn to the bushing. You can use any contrasting medium you want but I have had great success with the deer antler. Hope this helps.
Richard Van Hulle, Aiken Pen & Pencil

Did you notice that this thread was started about five years ago ?

Irish Pat

CA Glue

I've just started to apply CA glue to my pen but some of the results are a hit or miss.What is the correct way to complete a pen with CA glue?

PenMan1

I've just started to apply CA glue to my pen but some of the results are a hit or miss.What is the correct way to complete a pen with CA glue?

ROTFLMAO. The correct and only proper way to apply a CA finish to a wooden pen requires the wearing one yellow sock and chanting "Oh Wa Ta Go Siam" to the pen gods.

Since there are +/- 15,000 members here, I would guess there are that many CA application methods, AND each member swears his or her method is the best.

My "real life" suggestion would be to seach YouTube for CA pen finishes and mimick a few of the methods demonstrated there until you can perfect your own method.

Respectfully submitted, and I suspect that more time has been spent on this topic than all others on this forum.

Top Bottom