Bearings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

My Jet mini lathe has started making some weird noises. Sort of like a grinding noise, worse as soon as I start it. Is that an indication that I need to replace the bearings?

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
It's possible, but there are some other things to check first. The set-screws that are in the pulleys can work out and cause the lathe to make some noises like the bearings are going. Sometimes just tightening those set-screws can sort out a noise problem.

Don't get too crazy tightening them though as you don't wish to strip them. You can tell by a bit of fooling with them if there is any slop in the pulley to motor shaft or pulley to spindle. Basically if you can get the pulley to rotate slightly relative to the shaft, the set screws have loosened up.

Last edited:

Randy_

If it is the bearings that are making the noise, they are probably far enough gone that the spindle should feel a little rough when you turn it by hand. If the bearings are OK the turning spindle should probably be nice and smooth.

Noises are kinda funny and a little tough to describe. Other thing I would check for is a bad belt. If it is starting to come apart, it might make some noise and cause a little vibration.

Changing out the bearings is a quick and easy job, if needed, and there is a nice tutorial in the IAP library written by some guy by the name of Randy.:rolleyes:

If your lathe is still under warranty ( two years for the older ones and 5 years for the newer ones), you can probably talk JET into sending you a replacement set. Other option would be to buy a new set off the Internet or from a local bearing house (they are standard bearings available almost anywhere) and the bearings you purchase will probably be of better quality than what you would get from JET.

JET Customer Service: 1-800-274-6848
JET Technical: 1-800-274-6846

Good Luck !!!:)

Top Bottom