Beal Collett or Nova G3 - Please help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pauljas

I would like to start drilling my blanks on the lathe instead of the drill press. In addition to a drill chuck for the tail stock I am looking at either getting a chuck like a beal collett chuck or getting the Nova G3 currently on sale at Woodcraft. I would appreciate your advice and input. What are the advantages of one over the other?

At first I was pretty set on the Nova G3 but a few threads gave me the impression that for pens, the collett is the way to go but I don't understand why. It seems like this would add a small step in that I would have to first turn the pen so it would fit in the collett. Also, if I wanted to turn something larger, couldn't I use the same technique to turn a smaller tennon that the collett could grip?

Currently, I only turn pens and have recently started turning between centers. I have made about two dozen or so pens and have also thought about turning larger things but for now am pretty much "just a pen turner." My lathe is a Craftsman 12" that has served me pretty well so far.

Thank you in advance for your help. While I have turned some pens, I still consider myself in the beginner stages and am still figuring out much of this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Depends on what you will be drilling. If most of your blanks are square or somewhat square, the Nova would be your best choice. If on the other hand, you need directly down the center, than you will have to turn the blank round with the center perfectly alined with the points of your live and dead center, than a collet chuck like the Beal would be your best choice, but with careful alignment, it can be done with a Nova also.

keithkarl2007

The Nova G3 will come in handy for when you want to move onto bowls and other stuff. The collet chuck I feel would only be necessary for more advanced pen making like going kitless. If your only starting you won't need that for a while until you get a few pens under your belt.

ossaguy

I have the PSI collet chuck,which I bought because it's what I could afford.I don't mind having to turn it round first because then I can get a good idea of the grain & figure of the wood,to plan out how I want the pen to look.

It's handy since it's got other sizes than just 3/4''.The 1/4'' is great for holding a mandrel.

If you turn a tenon,it will hold lots of small projects.

The PSI one I got has some runout on the outer body,but its true where it counts in the center.I wih it came with a couple of holes to put the bars in,if I'm using my dust hood,It's sometimes impossable to get it off without taking off the hood.Sometimes I wish that I'd opted for the Beall,I've read that it's a great unit.

Steve

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I use the scroll chuck, Oneway talon and the G3, for drilling. I've had success with it holding round or square blanks as well as getting close enough to center. Plus you can use them for other turnings as well..

thewishman

I have a Nova midi chuck and a PSI collet chuck and I use them both. The Nova with pin jaws to round and drill square stock, the collet chuck for lots of stuff, including precision drilling, threading and turning small parts.

dogcatcher

Go with the PSI collet chuck and turn your blanks to 3/4" diameter between centers and then drill using the collet chuck. Later you can buy a 4 jaw chuck. By then if you are still stuck on pens and don't get into bowls, HF and other larger turnings, I would go with PSI 4 jaw chuck set up. By then you should pretty well know what you need to continue in whatever direction you have chosen.

Lenny

For me it's very simple...
For pens - collet chuck ..PSI or Beall ... By far the best purchase a pen maker will make other than the lathe itself.
For bowls - Oneway Talon or other scroll chuck ... Yes it can be used for drilling pen blanks, but ask anyone who has both which they prefer!

Hexhead

I have both but I probably use the scroll Chuck more, because I do more than pens. For drilling I always break out the Chuck Collet though, unless I have turned the blank down too far or not far enough enough to fit in any Collet.

its_virgil

A scroll chuck can hold larger blanks for turning other stuff. The collet chuck can hold smaller things such as: mandrels, pen parts for modifying, wooden pieces for making wooden pen parts (or acrylics), pen blanks (once turned round between centers) for drilling, rifle shell cases and bullets for making cartridge pens, blanks for making pen components used to make pens without using kit parts, buffing wheels on arbors, sanding drums on small arbors, and I'm sure I've used mine for a few things I can't remember.

If I could only keep two tools (other than the lathe, chisels, drill bits, and jacob's chuck) I would keep my collet chucks and drill doctor.

You've had some excellent advice. But, you must decide what is the best decision for you and not what we think is the best for you. Good luck in making your decision. You can save up and get the other one later...which ever that will be.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

PenMan1

Ok, not REALLY trying to be a fly in the ointment here, but there really is a third choice that IMHO is a better option that either the Nova or the Beall.

I am NOT a PSI fan and I always look for alternatives to their products. NOW, that I've stated my bias against their products, I have to say that in my shop, the PSI dedicated drill chuck works better, faster and CHEAPER than either my Nova or Beall chucks FOR DRILLING PEN BLANKS.

These drilling chucks (2 sizes, now, large and small) really take the time and aggrivation out of lathe drilling. AND, my experience with these chucks tells me that it's just as quick and easy to drill round blanks as square blanks.

On odd sized and non-confirming blanks (such as antler. Horn,etc), I still use a Huffman vice and a drill press because in my shop this setup handles these situations best.

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

fernhills

Hi, i would go with the PSI collet chuck. You get five sizes of collets 1/4" to 3/4" and you can do a wide range of projects instead of just drilling on the lathe. Later on you can pick out a chuck from the multitudes of choices that will suit your needs and style. Small investment of in the 80s for a collet, large investmet for a four jaw chuck in the 200 to 400 $$$ range. Good luck, Carl.

pauljas

Ok, not REALLY trying to be a fly in the ointment here, but there really is a third choice that IMHO is a better option that either the Nova or the Beall.

I am NOT a PSI fan and I always look for alternatives to their products. NOW, that I've stated my bias against their products, I have to say that in my shop, the PSI dedicated drill chuck works better, faster and CHEAPER than either my Nova or Beall chucks FOR DRILLING PEN BLANKS.

These drilling chucks (2 sizes, now, large and small) really take the time and aggrivation out of lathe drilling. AND, my experience with these chucks tells me that it's just as quick and easy to drill round blanks as square blanks.

On odd sized and non-confirming blanks (such as antler. Horn,etc), I still use a Huffman vice and a drill press because in my shop this setup handles these situations best.

Respectfully submitted.

Do you find them to work well when drilling non-squre blanks (not as radically out of square than say anlters)? I've noticed some of my recnet purchases are more rectangular than square.

Top Bottom