Beal collet chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just received my collet chuck and 5 collets to go with it. Is there anything I should know that may ease the learning curve or should I just stick it on the lathe and go nuts? I'm going to use it to hold my mandrel because I suspect there is something wrong with my taper and use it for some more custom stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
IF I were to add anything, You don't need to use the spanner wrenches to tighten up anything, It is a last resort unless your hand strength isn't what is was.

Texatdurango

One thing I have learned is DO NOT install a rod into the collet before you mount the collet in the collet holder if the rod is very close to the maximum clamping range of the collet.

What will happen is the collet could get slightly cocked in the holder and you will be out of round and won't know why! Let's say I have a rod that is .748" and am using a 3/4" collet. If the rod is slightly out of round or is tapered to the point that you have to force the rod into the collet, install the collet first THEN install the rod.

Thanks, this will help. I find it is better to learn from other peoples adventures so you can get to the mistakes only you can make much faster. If anything comes up I'll be sure to let you know.

Gilrock

I say stick it on the lathe and go nuts. But if you were in that camp you wouldn't be asking the question.

Top Bottom