Bead Turning/Finishing Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

anapolis7

I've watched Ed's(aka YoYospin) video on turning beads onto the ends of a blank, but I have a question about finishing them. I have learned to use the CA/BLO technique for finishing my pens. However, I find it incredibly difficult to maintain the profile of these beads when I am applying CA as it pools. Am I just putting on too much or is there a magic wand I can use or do I need to adopt Ed's finishing technique?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I have a follow up question that is similar: For those of you that cut grips into your pens, how do you do a CA finish without it filling? I did try using more pressure, didn't help much. I haven't tried a CA/BLO finish yet though.

hewunch

I have a follow up question that is similar: For those of you that cut grips into your pens, how do you do a CA finish without it filling? I did try using more pressure, didn't help much. I haven't tried a CA/BLO finish yet though.

I cut grips after the finish but before buffing it out

hewunch

I burn my grips with wire. This melts the ca too. I have not had complaints but if you wanted to fill with Thin I guess that would work.

BruceA

Try Mitchell's Sanding Cord

I was also inspired by Ed to try beads. I had the same problem with CA build-up, and found Mitchells Sanding Cord in .055, .070, and 3/32. Do a search, and you'll find it at Rocklers and Grizzly and more for @ $6. It's like sandpaper on a string!

Something else I try is after applying the CA, I go back and use the sharp tip of my skew to "lightly" do some groove cleanup. Then when I sand the finish, there's still enough to create a gloss.

Bruce in TN.

Top Bottom