Basic tools for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

I'm wondering what 2 tools people use most for penturning and if it's different for wood and acrylic.

A month ago, I was using a half round 3/4" gouge and a 1/2" scraper - but now I'm using a rounded end skew and Woodchuck carbide scraper.

I've talked to other and people seem to use different things e.g. a Sorby Spindlemaster. The latest suggestion was to use a Hamlet gouge- I think a 3/8" gouge but I'm not sure if it was a detail or spindle,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

Wood & acrylics: 3/4" roughing gouge to round, then skew
Tru-stone: Woodchuck to round and near to finish, then skew for final cuts

Mark

I use a 3/4" Spindle Gouge for everything up to a finish cut. For that I use the Woodchuck Pen Pro (basically an awesome scraper). Straight to CA finish on most woods or straight to MM for plastics/acrylics/PR/etc.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Tools

Most equipment providers inclued a 3/8 gouge, a 1/2 inch skew and a parting tool in their basic pen turners tool set. Among the more accomplished turners I think you'll find every thing from fingernails to double bit axes.

BobRad

Oh have a ton of tools- just not too good for small stuff, like 2" gouges, 1.5" scrapers, 2: skews - - a few small things for putting on beads

RAdams

Banned
I use a 1/2" spindle gouge to rough it to round, then a parting tool to get the ends near, then a 3/4" scraper to finish cut. I go straight to 600 grit paper, then MM.

I have recently started playing with the skew after watching a really good video a few times. I learned that my skew was too small, so i made a bigger one. 1 1/2" i think. I will probably end up just using the parting tool and the skew.

PS. I do mostly synthetics but use the same tools and techniques for all materials... antler, alt. amber, trustone, wood, PR, embedded PR, etc. etc.

Top Bottom