Basic Accessories to have on hand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Basic Accessories to have on hand?
i.e. Help with Hardware setup question(s)

I started out playing around with woodwork only a couple of months ago making wooden boxes or trying to so to speak. I picked up a 10 inch table saw and two router tables and with a bit of luck and paying attention I got accustomed to working with them fairly quickly. I'm not just new, I'm R E A L New.

Then just a few weeks ago I found out about this site and what you do here. Went back to the shops and picked up the lathe and chisel set, a drill press, and a small band saw. Very soon I am going to finally make something besides boxes myself.

Of course I've gotten some very sound advice here and after I've turned many squares into cylinders, I will attempt to make a pen finally. The biggest holdup is not knowing what parts I'm going to be missing and have to wait for USPS when I discover them 'one by one' that interruption alone makes it the more difficult just getting started.

(1) I know I am going to need a mandrel and I like the adjustable type like shown at Arizona Silhouette. I believe I'll need the A type for slimlines but would there be any other pieces on each end I am not aware of that fit into the #2MT sockets?

(2) What about common drill bits and bushings while they are expensive when you order all the most called for, not having the one you need on hand is another 4.85 and two or three days lost. I noticed VisExp's post calling for 27/64 and 23/64 and then the 7mm one for slimlines. What other bits and bushings are in your snap-boxes that you folks frequently use?

I've gotten a little supply of beginner blanks, polishes, emery cloth box, and a few thicknesses of CA vials. If you know of any 'oops we're out' gotcha's and want to help describe some of the more basic items you have handy it would be great to hear from you!

Thanks,
Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Yes I looked in the library and used Search!
2. Thanks VisExp for your post –very helpful-
3. Thanks to leehljp for the hardware insight post.
4. Thanks to all [every single one of you!] for sharing information one can't even Buy.
5. Thanks to Curtis for letting me have a screen name!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

A few quick items:
* drill bits will all depend on the pen kits you make. Best bet is to buy a complete set of bits. You can get many of them in the set from Harbor Freight. You may eventurally need fractions, MM and lettered bits.
* Bushing are like drill bits. You need bushings for the different kits so what kits you make will determine the bushings you need. You biuy these individually. A few kits use the same bushings. Order them when you order the kits.
* Tubes - order extras when you order kits.
* Sandpaper - you will need several grits. Good to have starting at 220 and up to 500 or 600. Also you don't need but will want Micro Mesh.
* Some way to sharpen your tools.
* Some way to square your blanks. Either a pen mill or jig for your disc sander.

I'm sure I missed some things but that's a start.

dogcatcher

The most important thing is a "screaming towel" Something to muffle the sounds when you make some of the better mistakes. It keeps the family and neighbors happy if they don't have to listen to you. Myself I upgraded to a pillow about 40 years ago.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The most important thing is a "screaming towel" Something to muffle the sounds when you make some of the better mistakes. It keeps the family and neighbors happy if they don't have to listen to you. Myself I upgraded to a pillow about 40 years ago.

I wonder if this is why people recommend I turn in space.
In space, nobody can hear you scream.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Something I didn't see here (but would keep on hand) is some old, worn,
well-washed tee shirts that you're thinking of throwing away.

If you cut them into about 4" squares, they're great for applying finishes,
polishes, wiping down with alcohol etc. You could even dip them in diluted
shellac and keep them in a sealed jar as a 'tack cloth'.

Jim Smith

Mick,

I don't blame you about the bandaids at the bench. It would be a real shame to ruin a nice blank with a bunch of blood:)

Jim Smith

dogcatcher

Sorry I took this off track.

CA glue, always have at least one extra bottle of the medium CA glue available. You will find that it solidifies just as you need it.

Rifle cleaning patches, the 2" square size, you can find them in soft cotton. They make great applicators for finishes and whatever else you can dream up.

Never buy blanks one at a time, the rule is you will have a blow out when you have no extras. Beside buying in small quantities cost you more per piece for shipping.

Buy extra sandpaper, you will always run out when everything is closed.

When I buy a new pen kit I buy one set of bushings, if I like it I make or buy another set ASAP. If you don't you will lose one of them half way through making the second pen.

If you look at the above you will see the pattern, "If one is good, two is better"! From that you see the purpose of the towel and pillow.

Marvin

Top Bottom