Barrels from Barrel Aged Beer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggie182

I have a good friend who's the brew master for a brewery here in Texas and they are finishing up a bourbon aged beer. I'm welcome to take one of the barrels off his hands once they empty them.

Other than figuring out how to get it cut in to blank size pieces, what else should I consider?

Does the wood need to dry, and if so, any guesses on how long?

Does the wood need to be cleaned? I'd imagine the beer could leave a sticky residue. How would you recommend cleaning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I would suggest making something other than a pen out of a bourbon barrel, like a bar table or a couple of planters. Something that maintains the shape and aesthetics of an aged barrel. My personal opinion is that oak barrel pens are usually pretty plain. Just search "whiskey" in the "show of your pens!" forum and you will see what I mean. You can probably pick up a scrap piece from a cabinet shop for free (and zero prep work) and get a similar looking pen. Now with that said, if there is sentimental value then by all mean go for it. I think this is what most of the Jack Daniels and Makers Mark pens are going for. Taking this route, I would probably cut into blanks and then soak in denatured alcohol for a few days and then let air dry for a few weeks. Or, I would clean any residue with DNA and then after letting the DNA dry for a few days I would try the microwave drying technique (google it, many nuances but same basic technique).

I'd rather share a beer with my friend at a bar table made from the barrel than have a limitless supply of plain oak pen blanks, just my 2 cents.

You must have missed that post the other day from one of the resident pen makers about how his beautiful kitless pen got maybe 2 likes on Facebook and the pictures of the boring old oak pens next to mini bottles of alcohol got 10's of likes + a couple orders. :tongue:

Stories sell. Been that way forever, not likely to change any time soon! I'd convince the brewery to put up a display of the pens for sale.

The good news is that alcohol dries fast... I'd hit them with a moisture meter and see what you're working with before you get too far ahead of yourself. Beer is pretty low in alcohol content so you may have some wet wood on your hands. You have to decide whether you want to force it dry or wait it out. If you need large portions of it, might be worth finding someone that can kiln dry it for you.

Dehn0045

Actually, did miss it! I didn't bother to read the post when I opened it and saw some boring oak pens :tongue:

Not sure if wood from a barrel used to age beer from a one-off batch made by a Texas brewery will compete with Jack Daniels, but maybe. How about some wood from Sheaffer Farmhouse (Gettysburg). Assuming it is a $100 pen (being generous), the wood runs about $17,000 a board foot. I guess you could do the 3X cost formula and say it was a bargain price of $6,000 a bf. Obviously selling the story and not the wood :wink:

chartle

The good news is that alcohol dries fast... I'd hit them with a moisture meter and see what you're working with before you get too far ahead of yourself. Beer is pretty low in alcohol content so you may have some wet wood on your hands. You have to decide whether you want to force it dry or wait it out. If you need large portions of it, might be worth finding someone that can kiln dry it for you.

Yea Jack Daniels barrels hold something like 140 to 150 proof or 70 to 75% alcohol. Beer is what maybe 5 or 6 % so its mostly water so it may take some time to dry out.

Top Bottom