Barrell Trimmer and Shaft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Is it necessary for you to have a barrel trimmer and shaft?
I find this to be very accurate and true process for squaring the ends of the blanks.
I actually use my faceplate with a scrap piece of wood, face squared off, then screwed to the faceplate. i use a drill chuck in the tail stock with the correct transfer punch that will fit the tube i want to square. 150 grit sandpaper attached the scrap piece of wood, lathe on low speed.
Hope this helps

HOW TO # 6-Squaring the blank.mp4 - YouTube

Last edited:

southernclay

shortz1lla

For every kit I've done, I still use the same 7mm barrel trimmer. Just grab some scrap wood, drill it to fit your mandrel, turn down to sleeves that fit the desired tubes, put it on the trimmer and trim away.

sbwertz

I drill a blank and glue in a 7mm tube. I then turn the blank to fit inside whatever sized tube I am using. I use a sharpie to mark the size. Then I can use it on the barrel trimmer or the little sanding tool for squaring or fine finishing the ends of turned blanks. I use my barrel trimmer in a pin vise and turn it by hand, not in a drill or drill press.

longbeard

Currently doing my trimming on the lathe in my chuck.

Dan, Can you go more in depth?

I saw this thread that may be similar to what you are doing

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/my-new-squaring-method-94962/

Looking for ideas not involving a sander or getting more shafts/cutters

DRAT sorry to be jumping in on the thread but seems we are having the same question just different sizes needed

Warren
Same method i use and explained above, difference is, i use my 3'' faceplate instead of my 4 jaw chuck. Using my faceplate i can leave the scrap piece of wood attached to it, i use my chuck for other things and dont want to be switching things around constantly. Just unscrew the faceplate from the head stock seems easier to me.
Hope this helps

edstreet

Dan Masshardt

To answer the question, if you are drilling on the lathe, just round half the blank when it's in the chuck to drill and square the end with a skew or scraper or square carbide (I've used all three).

Once the tube is glued in, chuck the rounded side and round and square off the other side in the same way.

If there is substantially too much blank, either bandsaw it or use a thin parting tool to get it close.

This has led me to a good fit every time. And the blank is already well rounded when you get the bushings in Etc, that it's a breeze to turn.

I use this the most with tubes that length is critical - bolt action, Sierra, executive, cigar lower tube.

I still sometimes use the belt / disc sander as well when it's not critical. I'm going to try traditional barrel trimmers for the first time soon to compare methods. I'll probably rotate all three in.

Rob77

Thanks for posting this. I may give this a try sometime but I probably need to improve my skew skills before this would work for me.

Piggyback question for this thread.. Can someone recommend a good quality barrell trimmer set? The hex wrench and/or the screw that my set came with got stripped.. I think I'm on borrowed time being able to use this thing and it's annoying because I've only had it a short time.

glen r

Rob77, a screw from an electrical box is usually the same size as the set screw that needed the hex wrench. I've changed mine so I only need a screw driver to tighten the trimmer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom