Barrell trimmer inserts...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
How do you all clean out the tube to make the odd size trimmer adapters work?

Building up a pair of Tycoon's and the trimmer inserts are not wanting to slide in easy.

Normally I use the 10mm or 7mm in a way that it cleans as it spins its way in....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Avoidance is easier than cleaning - I have used dental wax to plug ends,

I generally use epoxy and like to clean up the excess with a craft knife after it has set but before it is hardened (5 minute epoxy - cleanup in 30-45 minutes.

cleaning tubes of small amouts - fine brass gun cleaning brushes

Lots of stuff in the tubes or slow cleanup - drill bit in a hand chuck

Never have been too impressed with the little "shell cut" on the end of the shafts for the mills.

johnnycnc

I'd agree with the others, cleaning the tubes out should help. as a side note, it would be best to have them clean anyway, as glue can throw your bushings and the finished product...off center.

I'd agree with the others, cleaning the tubes out should help. as a side note, it would be best to have them clean anyway, as glue can throw your bushings and the finished product...off center.

So as I was turning one of these today... Got me to thinking, how are you all inserting the tube into the blank AND keeping it clean? One of you mentioned dental wax.

I use a PSI insertion tool - but its kind of a PIA since it gets build up and debris on it. I clean it off on my sander or use a razor knife to scrape it down.

How are you all keeping the tube's clean and inserting the tube into the blank?

thanks for the replies btw

Sean

johnnycnc

So as I was turning one of these today... Got me to thinking, how are you all inserting the tube into the blank AND keeping it clean? One of you mentioned dental wax.

I use a PSI insertion tool - but its kind of a PIA since it gets build up and debris on it. I clean it off on my sander or use a razor knife to scrape it down.

How are you all keeping the tube's clean and inserting the tube into the blank?

thanks for the replies btw

Sean

We are all different, but what I do is plug the ends with dental wax, put on latex gloves, and go epoxy crazy, cleaning off the mess on the ends with paper towel. After it has dried, I use an exacto knife to remove the wax, and what's left gets the inside measuring jaws of an old set of dial calipers used on it, used like a scraper inside the tube, it custom sizes ;-)

PaulDoug

I use to have dental wax and ran out. Tried play dough, but do not like it as well as dental wax. Also melted some candle wax unto a flat surface and used it after it cooled. It worked but still not as good a dental wax. If I get something stuck inside the tube, I use gun cleaning brushes to clean it out.You can mount them in a drill and that works pretty good. Just don't over do it. Those little brushed from HF look pretty good.

Last edited:

shull

Gun cleaning brushes and small rat tail files to clean out. When needed I use the wax ear plugs available in drug stores and used by swimmers and wives of snoring husbands.

Lonn

tried everything mentioned above

Tried every process mentioned above with mixed results. To present my most successful procedures are as follows. After i rough up the outside of the tubes i use a q tip to apply an electrical wire lubricant /auto wax to the inside 1/4 nch of booths ends of each tube and to my tapered tube holder( the device that looks like a burnishing tool) start one tube about 1/4 into the wood, apply glue push it into the wood in a rotating motion about 2/3 of the way, pull it out and repeat from opposite end. i always have the wood 1/4 inch longer that the tub so i can push the tube all the way to one end and then push it back to be equal lengths from each end of the wood. I lay the blank flat for the epoxy to dry. I wipe my insertion tool down immediately. Next day i saw a little less than one eight inch off both ends of the wood blank ( dont want the glue to gum my sandpaper on teh disk sander), flick out the glue residue if there is andy with a round file or mandral scre threads , use a jig on disk Sanders to sand end concentric with tubs ( careful not to take any brass, install on lathe , turn round then use a exact fit mandrel on the lathe to sand the wood to just rub brass tube, return to thel athe and finish turn the pen. I do not use acatone or other solvent to clean the inside of the tube. Interesting some one on the site sales a pen blank finish sander that appears to work well, but before i saw his i was using a reverse method by inserting exact size shafts in the head stock then sliding a a rubber grommet onto the first to friction drive the semi finished blank and have sandpaper attached to the tail stock which i move toward the headstock. This way i can back off the sand paper to see what i accomplished.

Attachments

• ipa jigs to share 006.JPG
    ipa jigs to share 006.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 316

low_48

If you get just a little adhesive on the inside, I use a piece of 1/4" all thread rod like a round file. On the plus side, it will not remove brass like a real round file, but will abrade off the adhesive.

PenMan1

I use plumber's putty to keep glue out of the tubes, then I have very little clean up on inserts.

5 pounds of plumbers putty is $4.50 at our Ace Hardware. The putty is reusable so 5 pounds will last a year or two, even when make 2,000 pens per year.

EarlD

Before inserting the tube into the blank I cut a slice of baking potato about 1/2" thick and poke the tube all the way through it. Then clean the outside of the tube off. Quick and cheap.

I stumbled on something by accident...

I have a set of centering punches, when inserted into the tube, they nicely scrape the sides down and clean out the glue.

I also use them for disassemble of the pens, insert it and carefully hit in on the anvil of my bench vice. Bought them years ago to build a router table fence.

Top Bottom