Barrel Trimming Sleeves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kevrob

This might seem like a silly question to some of you who have been turning for a long time..maybe even a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyway. Being a relative newbie, I am baffled by this...

When I started turning earlier this year, I purchased a barrel trimming kit to square up the ends with the tubes. No problems, been working great. However, I have branched out and started turning a few new types of pens (to me at least) and have started working with the Tycoon series from Penn State. However, the barrel trimming sleeves do not fit on any of the barrel trimmers. I assume I am supposed to use the smallest barrel, which I believe is my 7 MM, and it would then slide into the sleeve - but the barrel will not fit inside the sleeve. Did I miss something obvious? Any suggestions?

Signed,

Kevin (AKA: Stumped in Manhattan, KS)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

All barrel trimming sleeves I've seen are designed to fit a 7mm pilot. Are you sure you're using a 7mm pilot and not an 8mm pilot?

ToddMR

I have used those exact barrel trimmer sleeves. It does go over the 7mm pilot shaft. I use mine I got from PSI when I do Navigator kits as well.

OKLAHOMAN

If I'm understanding you correctly you switch to the smallest pilot the 7MM and the sleeve won't fit into your barrel/ brass tube? Have you cleaned the inside of the brass tube out of any excess glue that might have gotten into it, has the brass tube been disfigured in any way?

ToddMR

If you are using the 7mm shaft and it wont go in the sleeve make sure the shaft is clean of dried glue etc.

monophoto

When I started turning earlier this year, I purchased a barrel trimming kit to square up the ends with the tubes.--- However, the barrel trimming sleeves do not fit on any of the barrel trimmers. I assume I am supposed to use the smallest barrel, which I believe is my 7 MM, and it would then slide into the sleeve - but the barrel will not fit inside the sleeve.

From whom did you purchase the barrel trimming kit? Was the sleeve that you are having a problem with part of that kit, or did you purchase it from some other supplier?

A kit normally consists of a cutter and several shafts of different diameters. The smallest shaft is usually a 7mm shaft for the ubiquitous slim kits. Sleeves are intended to fit over that shaft so that it can be used to trim odd-diameter tubes. Obviously, if it won't fit over the 7mm shaft, it won't fit over anything larger.

When I started out, I bought a standalone 7mm trimmer, and later bought a 10mm shaft from another supplier. I found that the 10mm shaft was actually tapered, and the smaller end (where the cutter was supposed to mount) was actually smaller than 7mm. So the lesson there is that there is no standardization between suppliers.

kevrob

So the lesson there is that there is no standardization between suppliers.

First off, thank you all for your input! It seems this HAS to be the issue - rather than me just being extremely ignorant. :biggrin:

I am almost sure it is the 7mm barrel, it is the one I use for all slimline pens and it seems to fit just fine. I just went out and double-checked and it appears that it is the smallest one of the bunch.

I too thought it had some dried glue and stuff on it, I noticed this problem a few weeks ago - so I waited to post this until I had time to buy some acetone and clean it - which I did, to no avail.

The Tycoon kit came from PSI and the barrel trimming kit came from Woodtruningz, so it appears that they have to be different sizes. I guess I will have to buy the 7mm from Penn State. At this point, I can't figure anything else out.

leestoresund

I had a similar problem with an end sander from one of our vendors. The sleeve would fit in the tube but not over the shaft, ostensibly 7mm.
All of the sleeves were from PSI and had the same inside diameter.
I chucked the sander into the collet, filed it down with a bastard until the sleeve fit.
All the sleeves now fit so I am happy.

I left about 1/4" of the original shaft untouched so that a 7mm tube will fit.
Lee

monophoto

The other possibility is that the ID of the tube is not standard.

I recently purchased some kits that used 3/8" tubes. I also bought a length of 3/8" tubing from a local hardware store as a contingency item (which proved to be a good move when I found myself in violation of the 'measure twice' rule - but that's another story). But the important thing is that the ID of the tube that came with the kit was not the same as the ID of the tube from the hardware store - the hardware store tube had thicker walls and a smaller ID.

I find that having calipers is very helpful - I have both a HF digital caliper and a small analog caliper that was a marketing giveaway from Westinghouse more than 40 years ago. When in doubt, measure. (I must remember to follow that rule - - -)

Top Bottom