Barrel Trimming Sleeves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Sorry, this may be a dumb question. I received multiple barrel trimming sleeves with past orders from PSI and not quite sure what they are used for. Can someone give me a explanation? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

They are used for centering your barrel blanks on a trimming device.

The trimming device rides in a miter slot for a disc sander (at least the one I'm thinking of does). It has a 7mm mandrel bar that sticks out and will accurately hold a barrel blank that has been tubed with the 7mm brass tube perfectly perpendicular to the spinning sanding disc... (make sure your table is level, obviously!). To use, you gently rub the end of your blank against the disc while it's spinning to give yourself a perfectly faced barrel blank. Flip the blank around and do the other side.

In order to use the same device with barrel tubes larger than 7mm, you first put the trimming sleeve in place on the device and slip the barrel over it. This ensures that you cannot sand your barrel blanks at an angle.

magpens

I didn't quite follow Skie_M's reply.

You slide the sleeve over the barrel trimmer shaft and than put that assembly into the pen barrel. The other end of the shaft (the smaller end) goes into your chuck. The cutter is on the smaller shaft and trims the barrel end in the usual way. Hope that helps

Skie_M

I didn't quite follow Skie_M's reply.

You slide the sleeve over the barrel trimmer shaft and than put that assembly into the pen barrel. The other end of the shaft (the smaller end) goes into your chuck. The cutter is on the smaller shaft and trims the barrel end in the usual way. Hope that helps

Well, this works for trimming the barrel too, but the method I described uses a disc sander for doing the job of trimming, while his reply uses the cutter head that trims a barrel flush to the brass tube. The trim sleeve just takes up the extra room around the 7mm mandrel so that your barrel wont flop around and get trimmed to the wrong angle.

Skie_M

Also, while Mal's method will generally work for most acrylics and woods, it is a VERY BAD IDEA to try it with a laser-cut blank or some types of segmented blanks, as the blades can rip the blank apart easily. Using the disc sander method will work for all blanks.

Top Bottom