Barrel trimming larger kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rusty914

Does anyone have a recommendation on barrel trimming for larger kits?

I enjoy doing smaller pens, especially the ease of cleaning any excess CA from the barrel and squaring the end. However, I have several kits that exceed the largest barrel trimmer (10mm) that I own.

I'd be interested in any suggestions you might have.

sincerely,
Rusty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Rusty, do you have a trimmer with a 3/4 inch head? If you do, then you can make sleeves with a 7mm tube that will slide over the small shaft of your trimmer. Just make the outside diameter of the sleeve fit inside the tube of the larger kits. I have sleeves for the Baron, Emperor, Gent ... I usually make the sleeves out of acrylic or stabilized wood so they don't change size with humidity.

Hope this makes sense.

Chris

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I'm with James on this. I drill a 1/4 inch hole in a piece of corian and turn it down to where it just fits in the tube for the kit I wish to end mill. Then, before I forget which one it fits, [:eek:)] I use a Sharpie marker to label the corian. Then I do another one for the other tube and I am set for that kit.

leehljp

Member Liaison
An alternative - Lee's (Firefyter) sanding mill does a good job and the same size shaft is not needed. If you turn or cut the ends off until the wood is just shy of the brass tubing, then you can sand it flush.

With the sanding mill, another dynamic comes into play for squaring the blank: You do not need to have the same size sleeve. The object is to square the blank to the tube end. The Barrel/Shaft of the sanding mill IS square to the sanding disk. Let me repeat this: The Barrel/Shaft of the sanding mill IS square to the sanding disk.

Sooo . hold the blank/tube flat against the shaft and slide it to the sanding disk. By holding the blank flat against the barrel as it turns, it will stay square to the sanding disk end.

Do not use this method with a bladed trimmer. Too many forces in play for this to work safely with blades.

randyrls

Originally posted by leehljp

An alternative - Lee's (Firefyter) sanding mill does a good job and the same size shaft is not needed.

With the sanding mill, another dynamic comes into play for squaring the blank: You do not need to have the same size sleeve. The object is to square the blank to the tube end. The Barrel/Shaft of the sanding mill IS square to the sanding disk. Let me repeat this: The Barrel/Shaft of the sanding mill IS square to the sanding disk.

Lee; Can you elaborate on the sanding mill?

I'm off to the library to look for that article.

workinforwood

I drill 7mm hole in piece of maple..any decent wood will do. Glue in a slimmy tube. Turn down the wood to size using calipers, fine tune with sandpaper on a stick. Slide that over 7mm barrel trimmer and now it's the right size. Label the jig for that pen so next time you know what one is for what pen.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by randyrls

Originally posted by leehljp

An alternative - Lee's (Firefyter) sanding mill does a good job and the same size shaft is not needed.

With the sanding mill, another dynamic comes into play for squaring the blank: You do not need to have the same size sleeve. The object is to square the blank to the tube end. The Barrel/Shaft of the sanding mill IS square to the sanding disk.

Lee; Can you elaborate on the sanding mill?

I'm off to the library to look for that article.

Sanding mill - 2 links:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33091&SearchTerms=Sanding,Mill

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30970&SearchTerms=Sanding,Mill

Rusty914

A thank you to everyone for the advice!! I had a few pens that were either blow-outs or the unused half of a blow out blank. They became my new tools!

I was able to turn them down, and wrap them with wide celophane tape to ensure that I got them snug. They work pretty well considering I don't own a drill press yet. :)

sincerely,
Rusty

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by louie

Does using a homemade insert around a 7mm tube clean the glue out of the larger kit tubes?

Thanks
Lou

In a word, no. :D Get you some shotgun and/or rifle barrel brushes. They are brass and do a good job. Also consider sealing the ends of your tubes with wax, silly putty or the like prior to gluing the tubes in the blanks.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by wdcav1952

Originally posted by louie

Does using a homemade insert around a 7mm tube clean the glue out of the larger kit tubes?

Thanks
Lou

In a word, no. :D Get you some shotgun and/or rifle barrel brushes. They are brass and do a good job. Also consider sealing the ends of your tubes with wax, silly putty or the like prior to gluing the tubes in the blanks.

I use electricians or plumber's putty. It is like clay, does well and is cheap. I bought a 2 pound pack 2 years ago and still have most of it.

And I swear by the barrel bushes. Mine are not "barrel" brushes per se, but are the same size and do a great job of cleaning out dried/cured glue quickly.

Top Bottom