barrel trimmer sharpening?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmartin

I like to keep my tools sharp. But I'm having problems with my barrel trimmer. I think I've gotten one of the four edges of the trimmer slightly longer than the others. Then there's keeping the edges square so that it remains 90% to the brass tube.

I was trimming 6 cigars I glued yesterday, and the trimmer caught the blank and ripped it apart.

Is there a sure fire way, or a good way, or any way of sharpening a barrel trimmer?

Rmartin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

great12b4ever

I'm not sure what kind of barrel trimmers you ahve, but if you have the universal tpe, just remove the center shaft, the part that goes inside the tube. Secure a piece of 220 grit and a piece of 320 or 400 grit sand paper to a very flat surface. (I use a piece of marble, but I used to use an ordinary piece of glass). Then take the barrel trimmer and keeping it flat run it across the sandpaper. (It must stay very flat) This will sharpen it really well. Make sure you thoroughly clean the trimmer first, I use the CA remover and DNA. If you still have build-up inside the flutes, then the flat fine or extra fine daimond sharpner can be used. These are thin and about 1" wide with a plastic handle attached to them. Woodcraftrers and I think Rockler, along with others sell them. Try that and see what you think.

Rob

Firefyter-emt

The best way is to lightly hone the flat side and not the top bevel. I take the head off and mount it with the shaft under the teeth so that I can hone the entire edge. If you have already gone and changed the height of them, you need to send it out or replace it.

Rmartin

Thanks for the link Les. It does look like I need to contact Paul. It sounds like I need to order extra heads and keep rotating them. I wonder if he has extras I could purchase.

I've been using my belt sander to sharpen it. I'm pretty good at it with my cutting tools. I can put a razor sharp edge on my round nosed scrapper in less than a minute; which I do often when turning burls or acrylics.

How many pen should I be able to trim with a sharp trimmer before it needs re-sharpening?

Randy_

Originally posted by great12b4ever
<br />.....Secure a piece of 220 grit and a piece of 320 or 400 grit sand paper to a very flat surface. (I use a piece of marble, but I used to use an ordinary piece of glass). Then take the barrel trimmer and keeping it flat run it across the sandpaper. (It must stay very flat) This will sharpen it really well......

Sorry to be contrary; but if I understand your method correctly, most people would agree that is not the correct way to sharpen a pen mill. It might work once or twice or even a few times; but shortly, you will loose the relief behind the cutting edge and the mill will quit cutting altogether.

les-smith

Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />
How many pen should I be able to trim with a sharp trimmer before it needs re-sharpening?

I think it depends on what material your squaring. When I do antler I really notice a difference in how well it works afterwards. I think when you see a noticable difference in how well it cuts it's time to re-sharpen. I usually first start seeing problems when I'm squaring acrylics. But, if it is dull when I'm doing antler it seems like sometimes it doesn't even want to cut.

Mikey

Randy, thanks for the link. I normally sharpen mine and have had good luck until yesterday when I couldn't get a sharp edge to save my life. The color illustrations will help me set the mill back up how it is supposed to be.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Here is a link to one of the better tutorials describing how a pen mill(barrel trimmer) can be sharpened at home. There are some good illustrations that make the process very clear. And there is also a good explanation of why Rob's method will cause you a problem.

http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/penmillsharpening1.pdf
Good stuff there Randy, and I totally agree. If I were to sharpen by hand, the flat faces is the only way to go and keep the flutes even. It is still possible to have some uneveness over time, but far less. Over time sharpening them on a flat surface will lead to such a flat flute that it will not have the clearance behind the lip to cut the wood, let alone the possibilty of loosing the 'perfect' squareness.
No, I don't have any to sell or swap (might have to look into that, though). Yes, I do still sharpen the mills. I have been sent some pretty ugly mills, so don't think it is too bad to be resharpened[:D].

gerryr

If you have Paul sharpen them, just be really careful when you get them back, unless you blood all over your workbench. They are really sharp when he gets done with them.[:0]

Rmartin

Thanks Paul. I'm going to order a second trimmer head, and once I get it I'll send my dull one off to you. I'm going to have to make do with the one I have for now as I can't afford to be without one right now.

Rmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom