barrel trimmer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

I need to get a barrel trimmer but I noticed some of the pen turners uses jigs set up on the lathe to actually sand the ends,,,actually I cant remember his name but I believe he makes them and sell them,,any info would be appreciated,,thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StumpyThumb

Rick Herrell. I own that particular jog, and can't say enough good about it. He's got s section on the vendors boards with all his info.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

magpens

I recommend using Rick Herrell's device.

You will have to start slowly and work very carefully but once you master its use
it will serve you very well ... much better than anything else.

You should contact Rick and discuss your needs with him so that he can recommend which of his products you should buy.
He has several products for sale and he has a reputation for making a quality product at a very good price.

Here is a link to Rick Herrell's vendor section so you can browse what he offers :

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f349/custom-made-penturning-tools-accessories-92501/

Last edited:
Get Rick's jig! You won't need to worry about buying sleeves for every size pen you turn so it actually costs less if you plan to do several different style of pens. Just so you know, you'll need a punch set - one with flat ends is better than a set that has the points on one end IMO - which you should have onhand for disassembling pens anyhow, and you'll need to make a sanding disc for your lathe. I used mdf and screwed it onto a faceplate.

ghansen4

I agree, get the offset sanding jig from Rick. Can't tell you how much better this is than a barrel trimer!

Talltim

One more vote for Rick's jig. Love it, love it love it.

It saves time, is accurate and leaves no chip outs or tear outs. It is well made, fast and easy to use, and well thought out in its design.

I am not related to or paid by Rick just glad I invested.

In case you haven't picked up on it, I am a fan of the jig.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I'm just the opposite. I got tired of setting up the lathe to square a couple of blanks. I have a DP that is pretty much dedicated for penmaking. It only takes a few seconds to change from pen mill to drill bit. It is easy to do one blank or several blanks. Attached is a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_060456492_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171118_060456492_HDR.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 173

elyk864

I've always used my belt sander, I just use light pressure and rotate 90 degrees every couple of seconds to make sure it's even. All by hand that is.

gtriever

I also use a belt sander. In my case, I bought the Harbor Freight 1x30 sander, along with a transfer punch set and a hold down clamp, and built my own platform for it. Total cost was less than $100.00.

crokett

One thing to remember with the barrel trimmer is it works for irregularly shaped blanks and others where the tube is not glued perfectly parallel to the sides.

dogcatcher

I use a barrel trimmer then a simple home made jig for cleaning up the ends if needed and also after final finish is applied to remove any finish that may have gotten on the ends of the barrel.

View in Gallery

I use 2 methods, one is like JimB's except mine is a blank that I drilled and tapped to screw on the threads of the spindle. The other is a disc sander that is mounted in the drill press, with a chuck on the table to hold the transfer punches. One works sideways, the other works vertically. When in production mode, I set up the drill press method to save time.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am re-organizing and changing my shop around now. Two days ago I came across 5 mandrels that I haven't used in 10 years; yesterday I found 2 carbide barrel trimmers that I haven't used in years also.

I use Ricks primarily and occasionally use my sanders. The main reason I stopped using the barrel TRIMMERs is that on some woods, they will catch and shatter or chatter or chip out or suddenly change from slow cutting into digging into the tube. Many times I had to end up sanding the unsmooth cuttings of the barrel trimmer.

Barrel trimmers work OK but the unexpected does happen more often. Barrel SANDERS give more consistent control.

Woodchipper

Hank, I have seen the pen mill stop or slow down. I have learned to take it slow and use light pressure on the DP. Better to take a few extra seconds than start all over with a new blank.

Top Bottom