Barrel cutter / barrel trimmer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hello,
I am looking for a 4 prong, carbide, 3/4 barrel trimmer. Does anyone know who is selling them?

Alternatively, does anyone know where the best price is on a 4 prong, 3/4, steel barrel trimmer?

Thanks,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Nick, I have steel sets for $15 ea. 4 or 6 blade heads for $5 ea. 9A set has a head of your choice included) Nolan fits the 4 blade heads with Carbide tips to make 4 blade carbide cutter heads and as of a few days ago posted that he does still have them. Don't hold him to the price but it seems to me they are in the $30ish dollar range. I am pretty sure it is Nolan that offers sharpening on the steel heads as well.

Freethinker

I ordered an el cheapo set from EBay............usually the first thing I do with Taiwanese/Chinese tooling is take the allen setscrew out and replace it with a good American made (hardened steel) setscrew, but in my haste to use this new trimmer i did not.....I just tightened down the allen screw and trimmed a barrel...

...suffice to say, when I went to loosen it to change shaft sizes, the hex opening in the soft steel setscrew stripped out.

Now I have a (if I remember correctly what i paid for it) 25 dollar trimmer set with three different size pilot shafts and can only use the 7mm shaft because I cannot get the cheapo setscrew to come loose.

Grrrrrr.......

KenV

Dan - that set screw is what drills and "ez-out" was made for -- been there -

On topic --

There are differrent quality steels as noted - I found the PSI one to be hard to keep sharp, and turned the head around and use the back side for support for sanding disks to do finish touches on the end of blanks.

Berea makes a good one sold through several vendors -- comes sharp and does its job well until time to send it off for resharpening.

Carbide depends on the grain, and the grind/polish -- sounds like Nolan has the combination down. Just avoid dropping it on steel or concrete.

the interchangable cores work for some pens, but you will probably end up needing to make or purchase sleeves to fit into the tubes -- many use slimline tubes in plain wood and turn to fit the tubes with a close fit - other purchase from any of several vendors or sellers who advertise on IAP.

Top Bottom