Baron VS Jr Gent & Jr Staesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

heineda

Hello,

I have been turning a few of the Baron pens from Arizona Silhoutte, and really like them. I was looking at the Jr. Gentleman and Jr. Statesman pens at Craft Supplies, and they appear to use the same bearings and drill bits. Am I correct in thinking this? I'd like to try a couple of the Jr Gents and Jr Statesman, but don't want to spend the money on bushings if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Dan Heine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

The bushings are different. The Jr. has a tapered lower barrel, where the Baron's is straight, IIRC. On the original Jr's, one of the lower barrel bushings might work, but the other won't. I can't remember whether the cap components are the same size or not. The Jr. V2's are also significantly (relatively speaking) larger than the Baron; enough that you won't be able to use the same bushings at all.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by epson
<br />JimGo,
What does IIRC mean? I have seen this several times, but can not figure it out.

I'm not JimGo, I don't even play him on TV, but IIRC stands for If I Recall Correctly.

Now there's a dilemma. Would you rather visit a dentist or an attorney???

Either way it's like "getting your teeth pulled"!IIRC[:D][:D][:D]

Rifleman1776

The fact that bushings will not interchange is not really an issue. Bushings are cheap and disposable items. Normally, we don't consider bushings to be suitable for more than one kit style. When making a decision, consider that in better platings, with the Baron you are limited to only one vendor. With the other styles you have the option of shopping with a selection of vendors. Style preference is a matter of personal taste.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />When making a decision, consider that in better platings, with the Baron you are limited to only one vendor. With the other styles you have the option of shopping with a selection of vendors.

Actually, it is the Statesman Jr where you only have a single vendor to choose from. With the Baron, you can purchase upgrade platings at Arizona Silhouette, Beartooth Woods and Woodcraft (where the kit is called the Navigator). I believe there is also a new vendor in Canada who is now distributing the Baron in higher grade platings.

arioux

Hi,

Don't want to argue with you Lou, but i don't think beartooth sells the baron. Baron is exclusive to AZ in the States and Woodwrite in Canada. AS a fact, Woodwrite can not sell barons to the states (it's writen in each baron description)

It think Woodcraft is limited to one (upgrade gold) plating .

Alfred

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
How do you guys keep track of all these kits, and what does and doesn't fit what? None of the Vendors know anything about interchangeability, and they make the things. Is there a NAPA-type catalog somewhere?? Do you keep notes? Is it younger minds? Are you better organized than I?? However, you do it, I admire that ability.

I use only 3 kits, Baron, ElGrande and Slim-Line; and still get parts mixed up. Fortunately, they are 3 different sizes - big, medium, and small. That helps. Life was simpler when the only kit I used was a Slim-Line in 2 platings

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Russ - Trial, error and a notebook...and as I get older I am reducing the # of kits I make.

Alfred- my mistake about Beartooth, but I still stick with the Baron is sold in "upgrade gold" at Woodcraft and other plattings at Woodwrite. As far as I know, CSUSA stopped their distribution channel about 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom