Baron vs Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jskeen

Ok, I did search the archive for this and didn't find much specific info so I'll toss it out here.

What are the differences between the Baron and the Jr. Gent kits/finished pens, and which do you prefer to make/use.

I'm pretty new and if I'm going to invest a chunk of change in kits, I'd rather not purchase lemons. I'm primarily interested in the rollerball versions. Any other removable cap kits in the same price range anybody prefers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Baron body is straight, Jr. Gent has slight inclination from post end to writing nib end.

Both available in many nice platings.

Think the nib holder is different, now - but I have not done a Baron in a long time. Also consider the retro - baron "offshoot". Little different clip treatment.

dbriski

Barons are slightly smaller and has a facited tip, where the Jr Gents is a round tip. The same tubes and bushings can be used between the barons and the sedonas. The same tubes and bushings can be used between the JR Gents, Jr Statesman, and Jr Retro.

Baron/sedonas have more plating options.

Both lines are nice and good quality.

Ligget

Jr Gents and Barons are also slightly different with cap posting options.

Baron always posts, Jr Gent can either have a postable end or a smooth non-posting end so you get a choice with the Jr Gent.

gerryr

It should be noted that only the Baron rollerball grip is hexagonal. the fountain pen grip is round. Also, the grips are interchangeable among the Baron/Sedona and Jr. Gent/Statesman/Retro.

Rifleman1776

Jr. Gent all the way.

20071261904_thumbs%20up.jpg
<br />

Daniel

I Prefer the Jr. Gent. The faceted nib of the baron simply is not my taste. But I know others that are just the opposite. The baron is slightly smaller which can be a plus to many. For me it is an easy choice. Gent.

Texatdurango

My choice is also the Jr Gent. Not only a nicer pen in my opinion, the same drills, blanks and bushings can be used on the Jr Gents, the new fancier Retros as well as the more elegant Jr Statesman.

You can start out to make a Jr Gent, get half way through and the blank is just begging for a fancier body so you end up making a Statesman!

Also, if price is a concern, there are frequent group buys where the Jr Gents can had for 25% off!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I was just about to order a few Barons...but now you've got me thinking about waiting until there's a group buy on Jr. Gents...

I just wish they had the Jr.Gent in chrome...it's very durable, and I really can't tell the difference between chrome and rhodium (but that's probably just me)

Andrew

I turn both the Baron and Jr Gent. The Baron as stated is a slimmer model than the version of Jr Gent we can buy now.

At recent pen shows I sold many designs including these two models, the Jr Gent out sells the Baron on my table by more than 2-1, both priced equally.

Most common reason I hear for this from the customers like the gold ring and cap accent on the Jr Gent better than the black accents on the Baron. Also the body size seems to be more appealing in the Jr Gent, my Baron clients are the "Find me the slimist Pen You Have" types.

I also sold Jr Gent FP's at these shows, I did not sell a single Baron FP.

I love the Baron though for doing solid end pens, that is where I focus more of my Baron pens these days.

Brewmeister35

I turn both and like them both. For the rollerballs, I've sold more of the barons because of the faceted nib. The Jr. Gent (I have only been able to sell postable cap) is a little more attractive because of the trim. I tend to make baron's for my rollerballs and Jr Gent's for the fountain pens. I definitely prefer the feel of the Jr Gent over the baron. Both companies are very good to deal with.

With the baron's, you get:

lots of very attractive plating options
you can also turn sedona's with the same bushings and bits
they're a few bucks cheaper
the nib is faceted
it's the slimmest of the good quality rollerball/fountain pen options (gotta keep ladies in mind)
you get pen blank freebies from arizonasilhouette with your orders and they are very nice
the platings on the barons are not warranteed

With the Jr. Gent:

Slightly larger and very attractive trim
You can also turn jr statesman and retro with the bushings and bits
Rhodium and titanium platings are lifetime warranteed
Available in both postable and non-postable caps (be careful here, I can't sell non-postable)
CSUSA is one of the best companies I've dealt with in the customer service area. They are quick and responsive and take care of any problems immediately.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Brewmeister35
<br />

....they're a few bucks cheaper....

Whoa, you got me looking up the difference since I always thought the Jr Gents were less expensive than the Barons.

I checked the only two vendors that I know carry these two kits and the Jr Gents are cheaper across the board and stay cheaper with the quantity discounts for all the pens I buy.

An example would be some pens that I just purchased this week...

10 ea. of the Black titanium Jr Gent fountain pens - $15.75 ea
10 ea. of the Black titanium Baron fountain pens - $18.25 ea

That's $2.50 cheaper per kit!

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />
Originally posted by Brewmeister35
<br />

....they're a few bucks cheaper....

Whoa, you got me looking up the difference since I always thought the Jr Gents were less expensive than the Barons.

I checked the only two vendors that I know carry these two kits and the Jr Gents are cheaper across the board and stay cheaper with the quantity discounts for all the pens I buy.

An example would be some pens that I just purchased this week...

10 ea. of the Black titanium Jr Gent fountain pens - $15.75 ea
10 ea. of the Black titanium Baron fountain pens - $18.25 ea

That's $2.50 cheaper per kit!

George, you are right on!! Never saw it this way, got to check prices more often. What I like, however, is that the Baron comes in two cheaper versions, the Chrome and Satin Ni plating/coating. These are the ones I will buy in the future.
I like both pens, but there are some things I don't like on either.
On the Baron I like the color of the Gold Ti better than the one on the Gents Jr. What I don't like on the Baron is that the black coated parts do loose this black coating very quickly, and then one sees the underlying brass (actually, it looks more like copper). I have started to omit the two loose rings at the cap of the Baron. It looks better, and the little black ring looses its black coating within weeks of heavy usage.
Also, I found lately that several times the finial piece of the Baron fits very sloppy, and the clip starts to rotate around the cap. Now I have started to glue this piece in with epoxy glue, CA will not last.

What I like is the new Retro pen, and I have made several and all sold fast. The tubes and bushings of the Gent JrII, Retro and the Statesman JrII are same, so I can turn the barrels and then decide what pen to make from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom