Baron vs. Gent Nib Size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

I currently made Sedona/Barron and what I am looking for a rollerball pen that has a slightly larger diameter nib (i.e., where your fingers clutch onto the pen). Many of my customers find the Barons too small and the Churchill although a better size fit, has too much plastic. From what I read Craft Supplies’ JR Gent is a pen (very similar in size to the Baron/Sedona) however, the Gent is larger pen. Question... is there any significant differences in the diameter of the rollerball nib of Craft Supplies’ larger Gent vs. the nib size of the Baron/Sedona?

Thx...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Zig,
You refer to the Gent in your post, have you looked at the Jr Gent? The grip is a little bigger than the Baron's. I can measure tonight when I get home if no one else chimes in on this.

zig613

Mannie... if you could measure and provide the diameter of the JR Gent nib for comparison with the Baron it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

gerryr

You'll get everyone confused if you keep referring to the grip section as the nib. Only fountain pens have nibs and that's the metal part that puts the ink on the paper. That said, the section on the Jr. Gent/Statesman/Retro is only minimally larger than on the Baron. I can't feel the difference between them. If you truly want a larger pen, the Gent/Statesman are the way to go as well as PSI's Apollo and Olympian are about the same size.

zig613

Hi Gerry...

Thanks for the size of the "grip section" information for the JR Gent and the clarification regarding the nib. FYI, I described the rollerball grip section as a nib as per Craft Supplies' instruction sheet. Again, thanks for the help.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
As a point-of-interest, here are some oft-quoted definitions of "nib." This is not to belittle anyone who uses the term with a different meaning, but just to add a little educational value.

Properly, a small bead of iridium or other hard metal soldered to the very tip of the pen point. Also popularly used to mean the point itself (although many points, such as italic points, do not have nibs).
www.rickconner.net/penoply/glossary.html

The nib of the fountain pen is usually made of stainless steel or gold. Gold nibs are tipped with a hard, wear-resistant alloy that typically utilizes metals from the platinum group. Most of the common nibs end in a round point of various sizes (fine, medium, broad). ...
www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-glossar.html

the writing point of a pen
www.wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

(also neb or nip [generally archaic]) The part that carries ink from the pen and deposits it on the paper. Nibs are generally made of 14K or 18K gold alloy or of stainless steel; nibs have also been made of palladium and titanium alloys, and of glass. Nibs are made in varying degrees of firmness ranging from extremely flexible (“wet noodleâ€), for producing attractive line variation, to extremely rigid (manifold), for writing on multipart forms. [Historical note] Before the advent of the fountain pen, and for a time thereafter, the part that we now call the nib was called the pen, and it was inserted into a pen holder for use. The nibs were the tips of the tines, and particularly high-quality pens had small bits of ruby fitted to their nibs for smoothness and wear resistance.
www.richardspens.com

redfishsc

Originally posted by gerryr

PAH! What does Princeton University know?[}:)]

I dunno about Princeton nibology, but they certainly have proven themselves to know nothing about theology, well, not anymore:(, but that's a whole different discussion....

Back to the original question, if you're looking for a more comfortable writing pen, the big Gent rollerball is hard to beat. The writing grip is nicely shaped. There is only one caveat to the Gent that the Churchill has DEFINITELY got a better cap threading-- it actually stays closed. But also has an unfortunate track record for breaking (the plastic) just inside the pen tube.
The Gent will, like a Baron or Jr. Gent, come unscrewed in a pocket or pen pouch.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by zig613

Mannie... if you could measure and provide the diameter of the JR Gent nib for comparison with the Baron it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Keep in mind that the Baron is hexagonal and measures approximately 0.2965/0.3190 at the nib end and tapers up to 0.3225/3450 while the Jr Gent is 0.3300 at the nib and tapers up to 0.3585.

Top Bottom