Baron and options. . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradbn4

I just picked up a few Baron FP & Roller ball kits - they work quite well for me and I enjoy the style of pens. . .

However,

I would like to find a round point on the Rollerball kit like the FP.
While I do enjoy the look of the FP - I always end up covered in ink. I make the FP for gifts for people who ejoy that style of pen.

So is there any place I can buy replacement tips for the rollerball version so they will look as neat (to me at least) / match the style of the Fountain Pen?

The CS - USA does have some nice kits and it seems that more of the hardware is non-plastic vs the Baron - but gee - they cost a bit more and I would hate to retire the drill bits, bushings, and other assorted items I picked up to do Baron pens.

One day I will get into these CS 20 - 40 dollar pen kits - but right now the budget won't handle another $100 just to get myself setup to do the job right. (Pen Mill adapter, tools to take apart the pen, bushings, drill bits, spare tubes.) Plus I would have to wait for a group buy to get the prices down to the point that I won't wince when buying them.

Bradbn4
Having fun in Colorado

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

If you do some negotiating, you may be able to find some people here willing to sell you the old Jr. Gent kits, rather than the Jr. Gent II's. The drill bits will be the same as the Baron (but you'll still need new bushings). In the end, by the time you're done, I think it will be easier just to get a few Jr. Gent II's and an inexpensive set of drill bits from CSUSA, PSI, HF, etc., this way you won't have to worry about switching from one kit to another. I know I got my set of 1/64" increment bits (1/8 to 1/2") for something like $20 from PSI. Compared to $8 per bit, I consider this a bargain.

And, now that I think of it, I have some old Jr. Gent's in 10K that I'd be willing to sell or trade if you're interested. I'd have to check my inventory to determine the exact number I have in stock, but I think it's at least 5, and may be more like 10-15.

mrcook4570

You may want to contact CS and see if they have any version 1 Jr Gents remaining. Last I heard they were giving good discounts on them until they were gone. Everything on them is the same, dimension wise, as the Baron except the end cap. It is slightly smaller. So, your drill bits, tubes, and 3 of the 4 bushings will work.

Dario

I think the old Jr Gents (version I) are still available at CSUSA for 30% discount! Contact Nils and inquire.

Re: drill bits, I am with Jim, getting a set is the way to go. Much cheaper in the long run. Even with a set, you may have to buy a few more bits though (especially the bigger ones).

bradbn4

I have a full drill bit set - not a real good one like the Norse drill bits. . . It has the standard 1/64 thru 1/2" + the A-Z letter bits + 1 - 60 drill bits. For 7mm, 10mm, + the ones needed for the Baron I have the higher end Norse drill bits. I guess for my birthday I will order the full set for a little over $100 that should cover most of what I need.

JimGo

Or, for the same price, you can get a Drill Dr. and simply keep your current bits sharp. For the 1/2"+ sizes, check eBay.

bradbn4

The new out of the box Norse drill bits cut at least 3x better than the Woodcraft $10 dollar bits. Which cuts better than the HF stuff.

I will have to look at the new Drill Doctor setup - if I continue eating thru all these drill bits it should pay for itself. For now I guess I will have to pester one of my co-workers who happens to have a Drill Dr. to sharpen a few of my old bits.

Bradbn4

JimGo

Brad,
I'll be curious to get your comparison of the sharpened HF, WC, and Norse bits. I thought I remembered someone here saying that when properly sharpened, there wasn't much of a difference. But I may be "mis-remembering" that.

Dario

For $75.00 this drill Doctor is still a good buy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U8PE/ref=wl_it_dp/104-0438569-2239159?%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=2WH8THK6RB5OK&coliid=I7TOV1C4EGT3V&v=glance&n=228013

Of course I got it cheaper a few weeks back ;)

wayneis

I'm having a problem trying to understand why you don't like the Baron. Outrside of maybe the Statesman and the Emperor the Baron is top of the line to most people. The only plastic on them that I know is the black plastic decrotive ring on the centerband.

Wayne

alamocdc

Brad, I too wish the Baron RB had a round rather than octagonal nib assembly. But I write with one quite often now and it doesn't bother me like I thought it would.

The Drill Dr. makes all my bits cut the same... HF, Norseman, etc.

JimQ

Who formats their message in such a way as to cause the posts to be almost twice as wide as a monitor. Usually when I run into a thread like this I just scroll down to see if there are any pictures causing the problem. If not, I skip it because it is too much trouble to read.[:(!]

Jimq

mrgreen

Originally posted by JimQ
<br />Who formats their message in such a way as to cause the posts to be almost twice as wide as a monitor. Usually when I run into a thread like this I just scroll down to see if there are any pictures causing the problem. If not, I skip it because it is too much trouble to read.[:(!]

Jimq

It's the long URL that Dario posted that's forcing the page width to get so wide (there's no spaces, so it adjusts the box to fit the text rather than the text to fit the box). This is fixable by either using better forum software, or posting long URLs as short text that link to the page, which I don't know if the forum software allows... which brings you back to the first option. :)

Oh I supposes services like tineyurl.com would do it, too.

nilsatcraft

Just to confirm, we do still have some of the Jr. Gent Version 1 pens available and they are 30% off the individual prices. We have a lot of the Titanium Rollerballs, 10K Fountains and Platinum Fountain Pens available along with a few Platinum Rollerballs. It may be best to call to place the order to make sure that the pen and end cap you want is available.

bradbn4

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />I'm having a problem trying to understand why you don't like the Baron. Outrside of maybe the Statesman and the Emperor the Baron is top of the line to most people. The only plastic on them that I know is the black plastic decrotive ring on the centerband.

Wayne
I like the Baron - I would love it if the rollerball had a round nose / tip / nib

It is a simple style issue - for some reasion the first time I thought I saw a Baron Rollerball I thought it had a round tip.

Will I continue to make Barons? Yep, sure will - I like the cost vs performance - vs looks - vs platting options.

I won't say how much I ordered from AS - just that them boxes were full most of the time.

bradbn4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom