Baron Fountain Cap & nib problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thefunkyP

I'm having some issues with my fountain nibs seemingly loosing their shine and getting a hazy sheen on them after they've been in a newly assembled cap. The only thing I can think would be causing this is the CA I use to glue the clip and finial in. This has happened quite often and happens even if I wait till the next morning to screw the cap on the pen. This is quite frustrating.

Does the CA sound like a likely cause?
Has anyone else dealt with this before?
What other solutions, other than gluing, are there for keeping the finial and clip set so they don't spin after a while of use?

Thanks for the help!

mick

Ben it sounds exactly like what is happening. CA will "gas off" for some time after curing. Leave the cap off the pen for at least 24 hours after gluing or switch to another type of glue
An epoxy might be better or I believe some here have mentioned using the red thread-loc type of adhesive.

bruce119

CA is absolutely the cause as Mick said it out gasses and can take days to fully cure. Even though it sets rite away with the cap on the gas is trapped and that is the result a fogy covering on the plated pieces. I have cleaned it off with a plastic polish. But if your going to use CA on a capped pen leave it open at least 3-4 days for it to air.

I do not like to use glue on lose fitting parts what I do is use a spring center punch and put a couple dings in the part then press it in. That tighten things up good no glue and can still disassemble if need to.

Bruce

Top Bottom