Baron Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Has anyone successfully removed a center band from a baron? I have tried but it seems a little stuborn and I would rather live with my problem than ruin the cap. It may just need a little more convincing than I'm used to in a disassembly.
Thanks,
Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Go to your box of drill bits, you should find one that (inserted backwards) will fit properly and drive out the cap. I've done it a couple times. But just for fun. I never make messteaks. [:I]

RPM

I don't have a problem fitting something to drive it out, it just doesn't seem to want to budge. I've never tried to drive out something like the Baron CB that has the plastic sleeve behind the metal CB. I'm concerned about collapsing the plastic sleeve onto the metal if I drive too hard.
Richard

mick

The problem I've run into when trying to disassemble a Baron has to do with the plastic insert that goes inwith the centerband. It's so thin that anything you insert thru the barrel either deforms the plastic ....or slides into the plastic and fails to push it out. I ruined an Olivewood Baron I was going to take apart and refinish. But if anyone has a proven method I'd love to hear it.......I'm sure I'll mess up again....lol

elody21

Originally posted by RPM
<br />I don't have a problem fitting something to drive it out, it just doesn't seem to want to budge. I've never tried to drive out something like the Baron CB that has the plastic sleeve behind the metal CB. I'm concerned about collapsing the plastic sleeve onto the metal if I drive too hard.
Richard
I have taken probably 6 Barrons apart using a drill bit of appropiate size as stated above.In fact I have the 2 drill bits in a tube marked for taking Barrons apart. I have never had any problemy ruining any parts. They actually come apart pretty easy compaired to a alot of pens.

woodscavenger

Alice, you either make a ton of barons, or you are a true perfectionist if you have a couple of dedicated drill bits in their own slot for that job.[:D]

csb333

You can also take a bolt (I forget what size) but a standard SAE size, and beat it with a hammer. It will take some effort, but it does work. I also forgot to put the black plastic insert in one time and it was even harder to get out without that thick ridge of insert to whack.

elody21

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Alice, you either make a ton of barons, or you are a true perfectionist if you have a couple of dedicated drill bits in their own slot for that job.[:D]
Actually the problem is I keep forgetting to put in the plastic sleeve with the threads!! A couple of times I just did not like the pen when it was done.

Dario

Out of a scrap/abandoned 7mm Euro pen with tube already glued, I made a pen milling "sleeve" to fit the Baron cap tube. It worked wonderfully.

That same "sleeve" can be used to easily and safely remove the plastic insert and the center band. [;)]

JimGo

I use a set of transfer punches from Harbor Freight. Less than $10 for these, in 1/64th". Cheaper than a full set of drill bits, and I don't have to worry about cutting my hand or my pen on the bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom