Baron and commissioner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The Baron has the hex shaped grip, the Jr Gent has the round grip, but this one's grip looks like a mini version of the full sized Gent - concave ( according to the instruction pics)
I think the Baron has the 'black' couplers like this and the Jr's have metallic colours.
The flavours available are 'Gold' and 'Chrome' Not Ti Gold,or Rhodium.
I like the concave grip shape and might get a couple of the chrome ones.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
It looks to be the same as the Apprentice Jr. Gent from CSUSA, and likely made by Rizheng (however it's spelled) in China, if I had to guess...There's a discussion on them here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65880&highlight=apprentice+jr+gent

Looking at CSUSA's website, I notice that they don't have any stock of their full-price Jr Gent kits anymore, so maybe they're moving toward the apprentice line as the moneymaker:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...entlemen-s-II-Pen-Kit--jr-gent-2-smooth?Args=
That's just pure speculation, but I wonder if that's the trend....

If that's true, you'll have to buy your Jr Gents as the apprentice version, either from places like CSUSA, Smitty's, WoodPenPro, or from IAP vendors if they bring them in...

zig613

It looks to be the same as the Apprentice Jr. Gent
Looking at CSUSA's website, I notice that they don't have any stock of their full-price Jr Gent kits anymore, so maybe they're moving toward the apprentice line as the moneymaker:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...entlemen-s-II-Pen-Kit--jr-gent-2-smooth?Args=

Wow... I hope not. I'm not convinced that the China "Gent" matches the quality of of the JR Gent II. I also noticed that they had also removed the "Artisan" title from the description of the JR Gent II page Andrew referenced to.

Wade

LarryDNJR

I have gotten a Commissioner and Jr Commission both Chrome from WoodPenPro last month. My only real complaint so far is on the Commissioner the Gold Ring on the center-band appears to be a little cockeyed. The Jr Commissioners threading felt a little rough to me.

First photo is the Chrome Commissioner with Gold Trim Stabilized Clear Buckeye Burl

Second is the Chrome Jr Commissioner with Black Trim Stabilized Dyed Green Maple Burl

I'm not really displeased with them. I would consider buying some more to see how they do.

The Commissioner is fairly large, not quite as heavy as the Majestic.

Attachments

• 20101229-01.jpg
    20101229-01.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 135
  • 20110108-01.jpg
    20110108-01.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 119

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Jr Gent 1

I have gotten a Commissioner and Jr Commission both Chrome from WoodPenPro last month. My only real complaint so far is on the Commissioner the Gold Ring on the center-band appears to be a little cockeyed. The Jr Commissioners threading felt a little rough to me.

First photo is the Chrome Commissioner with Gold Trim Stabilized Clear Buckeye Burl

Second is the Chrome Jr Commissioner with Black Trim Stabilized Dyed Green Maple Burl

I'm not really displeased with them. I would consider buying some more to see how they do.

The Commissioner is fairly large, not quite as heavy as the Majestic.

I think the Jr Commissioner is essentially identical to the Jr. Gent 1. My guess is Chinese origin probably but not necessarily Rizheng. 24kt gold can be expected to wear like all 24kt gold but if they're from Rizheng the will have a clear epoxy sealer which does add life to the plating.

The Chrome kits wear well and the Gold TN (you can get gold TN if you go to the right place) should wear perhaps even a little better.

JerrySambrook

Jimmy from WoodPenPro is an excellent stand up guy.
If there is a problem with a component, he is right there to back it up.

I have delt with him quite a few times, and will so again with his petroglyphs when the time comes for me to get more.

He has also been real pleasant to talk to as well.

Jerry

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Correct spelling

It looks to be the same as the Apprentice Jr. Gent from CSUSA, and likely made by Rizheng (however it's spelled) in China, if I had to guess...There's a discussion on them here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65880&highlight=apprentice+jr+gent

If that's true, you'll have to buy your Jr Gents as the apprentice version, either from places like CSUSA, Smitty's, WoodPenPro, or from IAP vendors if they bring them in...
That would be Xiamen Rizheng Industries, Inc. (your spelling is correct) Andrew and they do not acknowledge being CSUSA's supplier for the Apprentice Jr. Gentlemen. I personally believe they are but they said "no" when I asked and until recently they were calling for different drill bits than CSUSA so they might not be.

Top Bottom