Baron caps coming off

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I have been having a recurring problem with Baron caps coming off in my shirt pocket. I have never had a commercial FP or RB cap come off in my shirt pocket so am wondering if this is typical of Barons or threaded caps in general?

I have kept 2 or 3 FPs in my shirt pocket for years so once I started making my own FP, I added them to the rotation.

Any thought?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Yeah Andrew I was sitting at MD Anderson when I read that. sorry about the wrong answer

Ok the real answer some use on the barons is an o-ring. I do not know the exact size one would look for. Someone here had some for sale maybe they can let you know what to look for.

ashaw

The other way around this is to glue the trim ring to the end of the barrel and pres the coupler leaving about 1/32" of the coupler exposed. This way the threads will lock in place. The problem is the last thread is be buried under the trim ring. The other way as airrat said is to use an o-ring

RMB

I just got in the habit of taking my pen out of my pocket and firmly tightening the cap occasionally, I do it without even noticing now. I like to fiddle with my pens anyways, just to show them off. I do have a couple of jeans with black splotches around the pockets though...

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I ended up using 5/16 ID, 7/16 OD Buna-N O-rings with a Durometer value of 70 so they are not too hard. There are softer ones available from McMaster-Carr with a Durometer as low as 55, but so far the ones I got seem to work so far.

I paid $1.50 for 50 O-rings at a local parts store, the softer ones from McMaster-Carr would have run me $20 with shipping for 100.

redfishsc

Cant get the above thread to open......

BTW I have this problem with nearly EVERY of the three and four-start threaded pens--- Barons, Sedonas, Gents, Jr Gents, Emperors, Imperials.

This is why I'm so glad they finally include metal couplers with the El Grande/Churchills because these two pens have very, very nice thread actions that lock down better than any other kit pen I've seen.

Top Bottom