Baron & Baron II are they really different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I'm thinking about ordering some Baron II kits from timberbits. Can any one tell me what if any difference there are between the Baron II sold by timberbits and the Baron sold by say exotic blanks. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Did you look at the pic's from both sites and check the bushing chart in the library? There is also a real cool chart with all the pen kit instructions so you can compare the two and see if that offers a solution.

Dan Masshardt

Exotics sells the Berea brand made in Taiwan.

I believe timberbits contacts their own. I don't know if it's Taiwan or China.

The styles seem the same.

You'll have to check on exact bushing sizes.

Someone here should know.

switch62

I haven't built any Baron kits, but looking at the Timberbits instructions for the Baron II the drilling sizes are the same as the Baron from Berea.

The bushing dimensions (outer) are practically the same.
Cap: Berea 0.535"= 13.59mm Timberbits 13.6mm = 0.5354"
Barrel: Berea 0.482" = 12.24mm Timberbits 12.3mm = 0.4843"

Can't compare the tube lengths or ID, but they would probably be close if not the same.

The only other stated difference is the 12 facet pen grip.

Try sending a PM to timberbits with any questions, David is always very helpful.

TonyO

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Dan and Tony for the info. I did send a pm to David so I should know something in the comings days. I'll post what he tell me.

Irish Pat

The Baron II is a quality kit made in Taiwan(as David has told me)Very good kit,seems the same the kit as Berea only difference I see was the 12 facet pen grip.Same Bushings as stated before.
David is a great guy to deal with,fast service.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Pat, that's what I needed to know, I have ordered a few time from David, I have to say his customer service is top notch and prices are some of the best around.

Joe S.

Never heard of a Barron II, looking into it now. It would be great if it had the same section threads as the Barron!

Dan Masshardt

Oh, it still has the same black outside threads. Those are the one thing that keeps be from absolutely loving that kit!

I agree with Joe Whatever they are made of and whoever else uses them, I don't like them as much as the threads that match the plating material

For me it's style - I've not had any problems with the Baron at all

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It was a design choice...I can't think of any other reason the threads are black enamel than whoever came up with the first design liked it better....I can't believe it's much cheaper if at all..

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The Apprentice Jr Gentleman, the Baron, the Caballero are the same basic kit But ...

There are two versions one calls for 12mm and 10mm drill bits the other the drill bit sizes called for (on the Rizheng made kits they changed from metric to ASE) are slightly smaller at 15/32 in and 25/64 in. Either size drill bits seem to work on all kits.

Dan Masshardt

The Apprentice Jr Gentleman, the Baron, the Caballero are the same basic kit But ... There are two versions one calls for 12mm and 10mm drill bits the other the drill bit sizes called for (on the Rizheng made kits they changed from metric to ASE) are slightly smaller at 15/32 in and 25/64 in. Either size drill bits seem to work on all kits.

And a difference in a bushing between jr 1 and baron.

Joe S.

They are metal, and they do seem to hold up for the most part (I've seen some copper come through on some). I don't really like how it looks.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
They are metal, and they do seem to hold up for the most part (I've seen some copper come through on some). I don't really like how it looks.
The old metal insert female threads caused that so as far as I know all the makers went to plastic threads inside the cap.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The Apprentice Jr Gentleman, the Baron, the Caballero are the same basic kit But ... There are two versions one calls for 12mm and 10mm drill bits the other the drill bit sizes called for (on the Rizheng made kits they changed from metric to ASE) are slightly smaller at 15/32 in and 25/64 in. Either size drill bits seem to work on all kits.

And a difference in a bushing between jr 1 and baron.
If there is it's not much of a difference....

Dan Masshardt

If there is it's not much of a difference....
But enough to either need a different bushing or use calipers. If you turn one on the others bushings without measuring you will likely regret it.

Baron has two of the same bushings for the pen tube (which is nice). Jr 1 has two different bushings like he 2

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I guess the only real difference is the facets on the grip. The bushing are the same and the drill bits are the same as well. 25/64" and 15/32" which by the way are the same as the Jr Gent. So I'm all set to turn a Baron if I want to.

Irish Pat

The Baron kit from Timberbits are a far better quality kit than the Jr Gent I(made in China)
The JR Gents have a slightly different diameter in tube size.

Top Bottom