Barn Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasper

The barn on my family farm is falling down slowly. According to my great uncle who has been dead for 40 years, it was built in the years before the Civil War and one side of it was rebuilt after a storm in the early 1900s. It is a post and beam barn, about half the structure is hand hewn, the rest were saw mill cut. I was there over the weekend and pulled out a few pieces I want to use in pens and turnings.

It is hard to tell what species anything is until you cut it, everyting looks like dusty old wood. I cut off the end of an 8 x 8 beam and a guy in the saw mill business tells me it is "yellow poplar," which really means it is standard tulip poplar that grew very large a long time ago. The inside wood is highly resin impregnated, rot resistant and it has a yellow cast. It should make some fine bowls.

There is a 24" wide x 16 foot long 5/4 board on the floor of the loft, along with about half an acre of other smaller loft flooring boards. Some of them are old walnut and chestnut. Probably about half is still in reasonable condition and usable after I clean off a thick layer of dust, decayed hay and animal droppings. The wood on the outside of the barn is weathered and cracked, not likely to be useful. It is the inside beams, elevated flooring, and inside walls that should be the good stuff. Does anybody have any suggestions about where to begin?

I feel a little like the ship wreck man on a deserted island who caught a 1000 pound tuna. It is all good, but I'm not sure where to begin.

Chasper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

Start from the top or its likely to fall on you[:D] Seriously it sounds like a super find...I would pick the biggest pieces as they would yeald the most useable wood per piece and also yield the most versatility.

smoky10

A friend gave me a piece of the loft floor from a 150+ year old barn to turn some pens for his family. The wood was very dry Poplar and was sort of a O.D. green. That was the driest wood I have ever turned, it threw off dust as I turned it, not shavings. The pens came out nice, if you like shinny O.D. green, and the family was very pleased with them. Pens from that barn wood could be a good family souvenir. Have fun turning it.

alamocdc

That should be a very sweet find. A guy I work with gave me a piece of hand hewn beam (about 6"x8"x3') from his old barn and told me he thought it was oak. It turned out to be wormy Chestnut, and boy was I excited!!! I've been beggin him for more and he promised me some on his next trip. He gave another coworker a long piece of it that is now a fireplace mantel. And boy is it purty!

jthompson1995

American chestnut is not extinct, but does not grow to it's previous glory due to the chestnut blight that kills it once it reaches fruiting age. I've seen quite a few small trees, but nothing the size it used to get to. A friend says he has a dead one that he needs to cut down and will bring me the wood (OK, minor gloat).

Rmartin

Old barn wood is of the good. I reclaimed some heartwood pine from my barn which is 100 years old because I couldn't find any pine in the size I needed. Of course, I made sure to save some for pens, which are gluded up and ready to turn.

mdburn_em

Originally posted by Chasper
The wood on the outside of the barn is weathered and cracked, not likely to be useful...

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Weathered exterior barn wood is in high demand in some places. I know a guy that tore a barn down, and hauled the exterior wood to Seattle from Wisconsin (his semi) and made a ton of money. The weathered, the better.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Old barn wood is nothing short of small gold mine.
My flat work partner made a small coffee table out of reclaimed heart pine wood...it sold within 10 minutes of the show opening for $450....now, where did you say you lived [:)][:I]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by mdburn_em
<br />
Originally posted by Chasper
The wood on the outside of the barn is weathered and cracked, not likely to be useful...

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Weathered exterior barn wood is in high demand in some places. I know a guy that tore a barn down, and hauled the exterior wood to Seattle from Wisconsin (his semi) and made a ton of money. The weathered, the better.

I agree with you, Mark. Weathered barn board for picture frames is in demand. Also, given the thickness of the board, pens can usually be turned from the interior of the board.

Fred

Dude ... Whatever you do DO NOT waste that weathered barn wood. There were hundreds of old barns around where I live now and everyone of them is gone to wood workers or if one is still standing it will be gone soon. Get the beams and as much of the planking you can and putt it away for the future. It certainly can become "gold" in a very short time. Just wait and see! [:D]

Dario

Most old wood, be it barn wood or from old houses are very expensive now. The only 2 places I found them in are in high end furniture restoration places and Architectural firms that specialize in "antique look. The won't even sell me a small piece of wood!

They told me that they pay big buks to get them...sometimes buying houses just to be demolished and reclaim the wood.

Keep all that you can (weathered or not) as mentioned above...it is "gold" (pretending as weathered wood [;)]) , just find the right buyer.

Chasper

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I had a general knowledge that there was commercial value in old barn wood, but I'm hearing from several of you that there is a very high value. I'm not going to be the one to take on a full salvage operation, but I'll get someone to work on it.

Meanwhile I'll be collecting a few planks and beams. I'm thinking about the big stash of bow staves (osage, mulberry and ash) I've got up in the attic; and the thick calthpha and cedar roots in the shed; then there is some persimmon, dogwood, and species unknown drying out in the yard barn. Just what I need is to drag home another few truck loads of wood. I'm going to have to come up with a plan to hide it from my wife.

Chasper

GoodTurns

Chasper-
I work for a developer and we frequently have old barns to take down on a property. Do a web search for people in your area who sell reclaimed wood, they usually buy from disassemblers or take them down themselves. We typically see $2,500-10,000 return for an old barn, they provide the labor, hauling and INSURANCE (make sure of the insurance before you let them touch it). Grab what you want first, then negotiate. Your local homebuilders association may also have contacts.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom