Banksia pod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Simon (Si90) posted a beautiful pen made from a Banksia pod blank from George (Robutacion). I have a pod that's been lying around for a year because I don't know what to do with it. So now I am inspired, but I still don't know what to do with it. Can anyone give me any help? Do i just cut it and drill down the middle? Seems like there will be a lot of waste doing it that way since it is about 3" in diameter. What is the best way to make good looking pen blanks from it?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Read his thread carefully and he said something about how it was cross cut by the maker of the blank. If you contact the blank maker he may help. His name was also listed in the thread. Good luck

KBs Pensnmore

Hi kovalcik, the way I do these, is to either trim it to the size I want by cutting the sides square and then trimming the corners off (it finishes up as an octagon) so that it will slide inside the PVC tube I use as a mold, then cast it in your favorite PR. I use a clear, as I like the polished brass finish of the tubes inside, if going this route I use CA as an adhesive.
If I want to utilize the whole thing as in a salt/pepper shaker I cast the whole thing in a favorite PR.
It will require a lot of CA as you get closer to the finished size. Finish with CA, I normally put about 10 coats on and finish with micro mesh and favorite polish. If a piece (seed) disappears, fill it up with crushed turquoise or similar.
Sharp tools are a DEFINITE must have.
Hope this helps,
Kryn

Last edited:

KBs Pensnmore

Hi kovalcik, you can do that if you want, or cast the whole thing and cut/trim to what you want. I generally cut in quarters on the band saw so that I can get 4 per pod. When cutting you need to take it very easy as they can break very easily. If you have anymore questions, please free to ask.
Kryn

Top Bottom