Bandsaw Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George417

I have no problem with my bandsaw cutting acrylic. The blade is a 6 tooth per inch blade
and it cuts really nice, but all I make are the rough cut to start out. Hope this helps.

Sylvanite

The rule of thumb is that you always need at least 3 teeth in the cut piece at all times. That means, if you're cutting 1/8" thick acrylic, your band should be at least 24 tpi. For 1/4" stock, you need a 12 tpi band. A 3/4" square blank can be safely cut with up to a 4 tpi band (although I'd probably use something finer).

Ideally, the band should be made for plastic, but bands intended for wood will cut acrylic too. Just don't push so hard that the acrylic melts.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Warren501

This might be a little too much information but from a plastics fabrication website:

Band saws should be used when curves are cut in flat sheets or when formed parts are rough trimmed. They are also used for making straight cuts in thick pieces of Plexiglas® acrylic sheet. For production work, large saws with a 30- to 36-inch throat are best, although smaller band saws are satisfactory for small work. The blade should run at a speed of 2,300 to 7,500 feet per minute. As a general rule, as the thickness of the Plexiglas® acrylic sheet increases, the number of teeth per inch on the blade should decrease. See Table 3 for recommendations. Metal cutting blades and, in particular, bimetallic blades stay sharp longer than blades designed for cutting wood and are better for use on Plexiglas® acrylic sheet. They are supplied by several manufacturers in 100-ft. coils and can be cut to the proper length and brazed or welded. The weld must be annealed and dressed. Blade thickness, width, and the number and type of teeth depend on the size of the band saw, the thickness of the material to be cut, and the minimum radius to be cut. Band saw blades of 0.250-inch to 0.375-inch width should be used for cutting curves; blades of 0.50-inch to 0.75-inch widths should be used for straight ripping or cutting large-radius curves. The diameter of the band saw wheels will determine the maximum thickness of the blade. The thickness of the blade increases as the diameter of the wheels increases. Special band saw blades, called "skip tooth" or "buttress" blades, have been developed for soft materials such as plastics and are available with 2, 3, 4, or 6 teeth per inch. These blades should be used when cutting thicknesses greater than 0.472 inches. These blades are hardened and will retain their sharpness for long periods when used only for cutting Plexiglas® acrylic sheet. Variable pitch (number of teeth per inch) blades work well in reducing chipping when cutting sheet 0.472 inches thick or less.

Top Bottom