Bandsaw(new thread)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I have been reading the thread below with interest. Another bandsaw will probably be my next purchase. In the previous posts there were lots of positive comments on Grizzly and Ridgid 14" bandsaws. I included the jet 14" and checked several places on a search engine. The price in general is $550 for Jet. Grizzly and Ridgid are both right about $375. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Jet is $175 better than the other two? Also, if I am not mistaken, none of these have the quick blade tension release. From what I saw in the previous posts either the ridgid or Grizzly are good saws for the money.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikes pens

That is a good question you ask. I wonder that myself as I do like the Jet. Up here in Canada, it appears I can't get the Grizzly. I do believe it has a quick tension release. The other two are available up here. The difference between the two up here is $225 Canadian. All three rate really well in magazines.

Mike

Scott

Jim - I have the Jet, and I don't have the Grizzly. Naturally you'd think I'd prefer the Jet. And it is a nice machine! But the Grizzly is a newer design, and they have designed it well. I think if I were shopping again I would have to seriously consider the Grizzly.

Mike - In Canada I think the Grizzly counterpart is called Busy Bee. Give them a try.

Scott.

YoYoSpin

I have had a JET 14" WBS-14CS in use for about 6 years now, with probably a 1,000 hours or more of use. No maintenance problems so far. Added one of those after market tensioning pulls about 4 years ago...works good. The only complaint I have is the dust collection design for vacuum pickup is poor, picking up a very small portion of the sawdust generated.

If I had it to do over again, I'd 1st buy a bigger machine...re-sawing capability is limited to about 6". And I'd probably get the new Rikon 18" 2HP model...now that's a machine! http://tinyurl.com/4mx6y The 14" Rikon looks pretty good too:http://tinyurl.com/4k6x3
web5220.jpg

Tom McMillan

Look like Busy Bee's website is: www.busybeetools.com I took a look there, and it appears a lot of their tools are similar to Grizzly's with a different name of logo. Says they have 9 locations in Canada.

William Young

Ed;
Most of those 14" saws have a poor dust collection system. My bandsaw is one of my few tools that I use both my DC and my shop vac on at the same time. It took a while to get up the nerve to cut a 4" hole in the bottom wheel cover but once I did, I was wondering why I hadn't done it sooner. It works just great like that.
W.Y.
40623751.jpg

G

Bill your sentiments about cutting the hole are the same as mine,except I haven't done it yet.
Hmm maybe tomorrow.
Nice set up

tomwojeck

I was one of the people with the grizzly. I didn't have much experience with other bandsaws, so I couldn't really comment on them. I can say that when I did my research, I was looking for the most "bang for the buck." When I was looking to buy, I don't think the Jet had the fence as a feature, while the grizzly did.

One other thing that I was happy with is I messed up the tensioning on the saw through my own ignorance, but the tech support people were easy to get hold of and worked with me on the phone as well as sent me faxes with setup procedures to get me working again.

All in all, I've been pretty pleased.

Rifleman1776

Be sure to read and compare features. The Grizzly DOES have a tension release. It also has roller guides, a miter, a rip fence and other features often not found on other brands. Add these up with the Rigid and the final price can be near $1000.00 compared to about $400.00 for the Griz.

Originally posted by jimr
<br />I have been reading the thread below with interest. Another bandsaw will probably be my next purchase. In the previous posts there were lots of positive comments on Grizzly and Ridgid 14" bandsaws. I included the jet 14" and checked several places on a search engine. The price in general is $550 for Jet. Grizzly and Ridgid are both right about $375. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Jet is $175 better than the other two? Also, if I am not mistaken, none of these have the quick blade tension release. From what I saw in the previous posts either the ridgid or Grizzly are good saws for the money.

darbytee

Jim, I've been using a 14" Grizzly for the last few years and it's worked fine for me. This year my wonderful wife bought me a new Rikon 18" for Christmas (the one Ed was talking about). The only downside is that I won't be able to get it set up for about a month. If you're interested in the Grizzly I'll let you have it pretty cheap, say $175. The only downside is that you'd have to come to Oklahoma to get it. It took me about 5 hours to get there when I left your house the last time, but I could probably work out meeting you in Tulsa or something. BTW, how is the 1442 treating you?

woodspinner

When I bought my Bandsaw I did the research and decided to go for a 20" 220vac 3hp Grizzly and sure happy I did. I can do larger cuts at a reasonable speed. Once I learned the requirements of setup it cuts 6 or 8 in. pieces nice and straight. If you are only interested in doing small work the 14 Griz should do fine. Just remember how many of us have upgraded to larger lathes and you may find the larger machine to be a good investment. Buy as large as you want to afford.

Good turning and be safe
Bill in Casa Grande, AZ.

William Young

When did Ridgid start charging extra for fence and mitre guage? or is that just the way they do it in USA ? When I bought mine the fence and mitre guage were with it . Only thing I didn't like was the steel blocks so I told the salesman I would buy it if he threw in a set of cool blocks and the rest is history. Mine cost $600.00 in Canadian funds so that would have been about $400.00 in US funds at that time.
W.Y.

Rifleman1776

William, I don't know when. That is the way they are listed in the catalogs. The tension release is from another company and not really offered as a Rigid option. The extras add up fast and expensive. Some, on other lists, have indicated that occasionally a sale will happen where options are included. That would improve the value picture. But, for a complete package, the Grizzly, in my humble opinion, cannot be beat.

Originally posted by William Young
<br />When did Ridgid start charging extra for fence and mitre guage? or is that just the way they do it in USA ? When I bought mine the fence and mitre guage were with it . Only thing I didn't like was the steel blocks so I told the salesman I would buy it if he threw in a set of cool blocks and the rest is history. Mine cost $600.00 in Canadian funds so that would have been about $400.00 in US funds at that time.
W.Y.

G

Possible down side on the Rigid.
New line is handled by the parent Company of Ryobi,(not Emerson Electric)

wayneis

I've got a Carter Guide, cool blocks and Fast Track fence on my Ridgid and I have no where near $1000.00 invested. The only thing that I do not have is the quick tension release gizmo and even if I do add that I still won't be close.

Oh bye the way Rifleman, we're all friends around here and it's nice to have a name to address you with. Most of us sign our name, you don't have to though.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom